Cornell Style Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meowey

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 16, 2006
Northern NY (Adirondacks)
Cornell Home-Style Chicken:

Robert C. Baker, who was Professor Emeritus of the Department of Animal Sciences at the New York State College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at Cornell University, developed this recipe.

Sauce:

Enough for 10 broiler halves
1 cup cooking oil
1 pint cider vinegar
3 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 egg

Enough for five broiler halves
½ cup cooking oil
1 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
¼ teaspoon white pepper
1 egg

Beat the egg, then add the oil and beat again. Add other ingredients and stir. The salt and oil in this recipe can be varied to suit individual tastes.

To Grill the Broilers:

Place the broiler halves on the grill. Turn the halves every five to ten minutes. Use turners or a long handled fork. The chicken should be basted with a fiber brush or BBQ mop at each turning. The basting should be light at first and heavy near the end of the cooling period.

My experience with this is that the grill has to be on low heat to avoid flare-ups. You can par-boil the chicken briefly if you wish to cut down the cooking time. Cooking time is about one hour, depending on the size of the broiler. Test the chicken for doneness by pulling the wing away from the body. If the meat is this area splits easily and there is no red color in the joint, the chicken is done.

To add the smoke flavor, make a foil packet or use a cake pan covered with foil filled with chips of your choice. Poke some holes in the top if the packet or foil covered pan to allow the smoke to escape. Place smoke device over one burner set on low heat. The grill lid should be down to allow the smoke to work.

My family all love this recipe.

Regards,

Meowey

Edit: Wow, I'm first to post here!

I made some the weekend after the good doctor passed away in remembrance. It was the first time making it for me. I basted as the recipe called for and it was very tasty. Others I've heard tell that they marinate the meat overnight in the sauce to give the chicken an extra tang. I haven't tried it yet but the next time I make Cornell Chicken I think I'll marinate it to compare.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky