Cooking for sister in-law B-Day!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flyfishjeep

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
St Petersburg FL
After enough successful smokes for the family I have been commisioned by my in-laws to fire up the smoker for a 18th. B-day bash for my sister in-law.
We are figuring about 30 people which is on the high side.
I will let you know what I am making and how much of it.
Feel free to give me your input on amounts.

4--10-12 lb pork butts
4--Dutch's Wicked beans
30--Jalepeno's for ABT's
Mustard BBQ sauce
Vinegar based (finishing sauce)
Standard BBQ sauce

Mother in-law is making
Corn on the cob
Hush puppies
Sweet potatoe fries.

I plan on smoking the pulled pork the weekend before and freezing it to reheat in crock pot the day of.
Cook the beans and ABT's the day of.

Any suggestions?

I'm really looking forward to this event. Not only for the B-day bash, but the opportunity to test myself on the planning and service. Qview will definetly happen for this show.

Yeah, I figured I would cut them in half. Stuffed with a spicy sausage, cheese mix and wrap in Bacon. I figured there was enough other items ont the menu. I guess we will see what her budget is looking like and then adjust for more if we can.

The amounts on the PP are real high - the average sammie is 3-4 oz and even figuring a 50 %reduction from raw to cooked you are still only looking at 7 # on the high end so two would give you some to freeze or pass out in doggie bags - I would cut the beans back too about a 2 oz scoop is what I used to serve - triple the ABT's and cut them in 1/2
Do you have any little ones coming? If so add some hotdogs to the smoker and they will be real happy

PM me if I can help you in any way -

good call on the hotdogs.......smoked they are great! and yea, you will need more abt's!

Thanks for the input guys!

I will probably keep the Pork a little high since it is a bunch of High School Seniors and boyfriends coming over...
Plus I can send the leftovers to work the next day and treat everyone.
60-90 whole jalepeno's split for ABT's

Hot Dogs would be great, but my two boys love the pulled pork and corn on the cob!
Thanks again, and let me know if you think of anything else!

First time I made ABTs I only made 6 (cut in half so I had 12) and it was for 5 people and in less than 5 min the plate was empty. Every one gets a little fiesty when the ABTs run out!!!

Directions--- Hit south Knoxville,TN and follow the TBS! We will have the pool heater on and hopefully the sun will be shining.

I can't really add anything, sounds like you pretty much got it covered
But I will agree with the others...definitely increase the amount of ABT's
You can never have enough.....no matter how many times I have tried to OVER compensate with ABT's I always end up having zero left over and people wanting more

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky