Cooking for a crowd

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

knuckle47

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
New Jersey
It's been kinda quiet lately but my goal of building a smoker nearly complete. Actually I started it Labor Day weekend 2013 and one of the two friends that helped bring this 275 gallon tank to my house has seen the last 8 months of cutting and welding.

After stopping by a few weeks ago he surprised me with a request to bring it to his house for the annual July 4th gathering. It's not done yet but should be shortly. He has had this picnic at his house for the last 15 years or so that I know. His house is on the periphery of the fireworks event held by the town so sitting on his deck and looking up...shows it all.

He's got 40 -45 people coming and desperately wants this smoker cooking for the crowd. Man, give me 4 or 5 burgers or a few steaks and I'm cookin' good, everyone is happy and it's over in 14 minutes of grilling. This will be one monster challenge. I can't tell you how much I've been reading about rubs, ribs and pulling the pork for 9-10 hours. I've bought Jeff rub & sauce recipe and studied the ecourse.

Last year at the end of this party, there was about 75 empty bottles of wine, 2 kegs, countless beer bottles and a load of pretty happy people. Let's see what happens this year...just remember, don't shoot the cook!

Last edited:
Sounds like you got invited to a pretty good party 
icon_mrgreen.gif

Oh Knuckle47!!! Your machine and upcoming Independence Day reverie just sound fantastic!

Talk about a labor of love with that build? How terrific!

Now what shall be served there as far as the menu this year, and as far as libation?

I am delighted that you posted something here for our Winos, as it HAS indeed been quiet here lately, (I've been moving), and so come Wednesday, I am alas sharing a taste and sip, and from my new abode!

Meanwhile, your feast and "fest" are going to be wild and I do hope that you'll take many photos and share the joy!

Happy Tuesday to all and here's to raising a glass (or 2 or 10) of something phenomenal and toasting to today! 

Cheers! - Leah

Well then congratulations on your new home! As I kid, we moved so much between states. I went to 3 grammar schools and 3 high schools. It sucked so much that I decided that if I ever had kids, and we have two, that they would stay with the school they started with to develop any kind of long term relationships with friends or whatever they wanted.

That meant we either really like the place we live and the house we bought. Fortunately when we moved from VT and wanted a rural quiet place with lots of land" spreadin' out so far and wide"...for give the Green Acres TV reference, we found it. We live on a half-mile long dirt road in the woods surrounded by hundreds of wooded acres and it is quiet. Until you go a mile up the road and it's ?..chaos

The sad part is it Abso freakin' lutley time to move. I hate it here. And I would imagine you know that the longer you live and work in a place, the greater the ties that keep you there will become.

So...that being said both kids are married and I'm still here!

Expletive expletive expletive...insert any.

I would go back to Vermont in a heartbeat...my wife, a northeast kingdom native...has turned city. Oh well, some day

Regardless, I will keep any interested updated. Again, enjoy your new abode!

Hi Knuckle47 and happy midweek to you!

Thanks very much for well wishes, and here is to YOU moving thus, and as soon as you and your wife conjure up a destination idea that makes great sense!

Actually, The People's Republic of Vermont has changed and evolved much since my Northeast Kingdom raising days, and so there are some pockets which may indeed feed her urban zeal or more than years prior there. (Burlington mostly, but perhaps some others too).

Meanwhile, so interesting on all your moving as a kid! I didn't move as a kid at all but made up for it in adulthood thus. It's good to now be home!

More later today. I am posting a thread or two alas! Here's to good things! (And great sips of wine and smoked cuisine)!

Cheers! - Leah

Well as I see it today, Burlington is not Vermont any more and I agree with you about change. I refer more to the initial thoughts you had projected when we first started chatting. The parts northeast of Enosburg are still darn close to their 1940 s image albeit a ton of peeling paint. That's my kinda town :biggrin:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky