Cooking Chamber to fire box ratio

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

enterprise

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
Eastern NE
I recently stumbled upon an old 120 gallon air holding tank. I got to thinking about making a smoker out of it and was wondering what size of fire box do I need for this size of cooking chamber? It measures roughly 22" in diameter and 4' 6" long. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Everything that I have read is roughly a 3rd of the size of the cook chamber. I would shoot for a 30 gallon compressor tank for the firebox.

I am currently building one using a 60 gallon tank (58x21) and a 30 gallon (12x36) for the firbox.

Just remember it is better to have a firebox that is a little too big then one that is too small.

I have an excel document you plug in the dimension for your cook chamber and it will give you smoke chamber size and chimney size. It may be on this site somewhere cant remember where I found it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky