Converting an old over to a smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

deseljk

Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
I recently bought my wife a new over after 20 years together.  She's happy with that, and now I've got a relatively clean insulated box not being used with lots of rack space.  I'm planning to convert this to a 110V Electric Smoker.  As far as the interior space, I think I'm in good shape.  I'm planning to add themomoeters and also a 110V element in the botto. so I don't have too much heat with the 220 in there now.

I have a couple of questions:

1.)  Can I convert the existing element easily or do I need to buy a new one.

2.)  How much Airflow do I need when I drill my holes for the top and bottom draft to allow good air circulation to keep the smoke from gettign to Acrid inside the oven when I smoke?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Is this just an oven or does it have A stove top? It should vent itself through one of the burners. I would imagine as my oven does so maybe you wouldn't have to drill anything. I know little about electrical stuff so am quite interested to see if you could convert to 110 using most of the same wiring and including the thermostat. I will be keeping an eye on this post. By the way welcome to the forum and don't forget to stop by and introduce yourself!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky