Conflicted Newbie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eyemgh

Original poster
Jun 18, 2021
After 10 years, I moved on from the BGE. I liked it, a lot, but the inertia to get it going and the hassle of feeding it for long cooks finally got the best of me. I'm moving on to a pellet. We mostly smoke, but we grill burgers and fish occasionally too. The grilling capability doesn't have to be stellar, but competent.

I've narrowed to 4, 2 imports, and 2 US builts, and I'm heavily conflicted. RecTec RT-590 and Grilla Silverback for the imports and Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850 and MAK 1 Star General for the US built models.

I realize it isn't an apples to apples comparison. I have to believe that the P&S and the MAK will be superior to either import. I can afford any of them, but the difference is $1500 give or take.

Please help a conflicted pellet newbie.

Thanks!

I am a charcoal guy so I won't be much help on pellet smokers, but in general if you mostly smoke I'd focus on buying a great smoker. You can always keep the BGE or get a small gasser for your grilling needs.

Lone Star Grillz now has a pellet smoker. Expensive but worth every penny. Built in Fireboard 2 as well. Good luck on your journey finding the right one for you and your needs.

I am a charcoal guy so I won't be much help on pellet smokers, but in general if you mostly smoke I'd focus on buying a great smoker. You can always keep the BGE or get a small gasser for your grilling needs.
Alas, the BGE is gone.

Lone Star Grillz now has a pellet smoker. Expensive but worth every penny. Built in Fireboard 2 as well. Good luck on your journey finding the right one for you and your needs.
Oh man, now more to be conflicted about! :emoji_laughing:

UPDATE: Not available

Last edited:
I'd also look at the Cookshack PG500. Does an excellent job smoking AND grilling.

Reactions: JWFokker
I'd also look at the Cookshack PG500. Does an excellent job smoking AND grilling.
Another one that intrigued me, but I'd read that temp swings can be an issue. Have you experienced that? Also, is it WiFi compatible?

If notifications are important to you (and they should be since you're paying a hefty price tag for an alleged "smart" smoker) you should do some searching on Recteq and they're known and widespread notification issues. They are ongoing and all but break the device if you value interaction via an app and Wi-Fi.

To say that they have been slow to rectify the situation that's been going on for many months now would be an understatement of epic proportions.

People talk about Recteq in a positive light as it applies to their customer service but I can't support that broad stance any longer given how poorly they've reacted to a situation that affects all owners.

If I had to do over again I would invest my $1,000 into another manufacturer at this point which is a statement I never thought I would say.

I know you didn't mention Traeger, but I love my Timberline 1300 -It does a nice job at smoking and when I need extra smoke, I throw in my Smoke Tube :), particularly at the higher temps. Whatever you choose, good luck as there's almost always the bit of doubt on what to get :)

Welcome to the Forum from South Carolina's Thoroughbred Country.

Just quick comparison from the web sites and not knowing how you're going to use the grill/smoker, I lean to the Maverick 850: larger pellet hopper, external grease drain/bucket, larger grill space.

I'm currently a charcoal person since I had all things on hand for the next few months. But, I'm looking at the RecTec B380 Bullseye and maybe the RT700 next year. RecTec HQ is within a 15 min drive depending upon traffic. So that plays a large part in my decision going with RecTec. 🍻
John

Well, after talking with P&S and MAK (both of which were great on the phone), learning that the Lone Star isn't available (and they didn't pick up the phone or call back to say when it would be), and reading ticked off reviews from RecTec owners regarding the connectivity, not just here, but all over the web, I pulled the trigger on a MAK One Star General. The direct cooking is easy to use. They have a solid reputation. Shipping is included. It's built in my home state. Maybe most impressive, all of their improvement iterations are designed so that they can also be retrofitted into older units. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Well, after talking with P&S and MAK (both of which were great on the phone), learning that the Lone Star isn't available (and they didn't pick up the phone or call back to say when it would be), and reading ticked off reviews from RecTec owners regarding the connectivity, not just here, but all over the web, I pulled the trigger on a MAK One Star General. The direct cooking is easy to use. They have a solid reputation. Shipping is included. It's built in my home state. Maybe most impressive, all of their improvement iterations are designed so that they can also be retrofitted into older units. Thanks everyone!
Congrats - and hope you'll stick around SMF and show us some of your cooks!

Reactions: eyemgh
I have had a few pellet grills. I currently own a Yoder YS-640. If I could do it it all over in modern time, no doubt I would buy a MB gravity feed.
smokes, grills, and bakes just the same, but the charcoal with wood added is bomb on flavor.

I have had a few pellet grills. I currently own a Yoder YS-640. If I could do it it all over in modern time, no doubt I would buy a MB gravity feed.
smokes, grills, and bakes just the same, but the charcoal with wood added is bomb on flavor.
I've experienced that bomb flavor for 10 years with the BGE. Sometimes I really love it, but it can get fatiguing.

Another one that intrigued me, but I'd read that temp swings can be an issue. Have you experienced that? Also, is it WiFi compatible?

I don't own one myself, but know several folks that do. I have not heard of excessive temp swings at all. It does have a very unique controller - not PID - but allows you to control how much smoke it puts out among other things. It also has a unique venting system that forces smoke across the food before it exits. It doesn't have WiFi and I have not heard of any plans for it in the future.

Reactions: eyemgh
$1500 can buy a lot of very tasty meat to put on that new smoker...
Indeed! Hence the question. At the end of the day the MAK checked all the boxes we wanted to check better than any other machine out there.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky