Competition Smoking on a propane smoker?? Is it done??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoke_chef

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 22, 2008
Marble Falls, AR
Competition Smoking on a propane smoker?? Is it done?? I thought I read some where that in most compititions... all the major ones, propane and electric smokers weren't allowed. But, doesn't LeeAnn from team Wood Chicks on Pitmasters use a Southern Pride Propane smoker?

Competition Smoking on a propane smoker?? Is it done?? I thought I read some where that in most compititions... all the major ones, propane and electric smokers weren't allowed. But, doesn't LeeAnn from team Wood Chicks on Pitmasters use a Southern Pride Propane smoker?
There may be some, but none I have found

LeeAnn does use a southern pride cooker, the propane/gas is disconnected, and uses charcoal and wood as heat source, also the electric is only for rack rotation and convection fans inside cooker, not for heat source. hope this helps. 

Every comp i've been to has had a no gas / electric rule for the heat source.

Now you know why I always recommend a WSM when someone is looking for a low end smoker.  It not only smokes great but many BBQ competitions are won with them.  So a newbie gets the bug to compete, his smoker investment is still good until he figures out what he really wants.

Note, I also recommend my Q'n machine a MES too, but that is more for those who like to keep it simple.

ok i get that you can't use them. Now my question is why can't they be used? I don't understand and havn't had anyone explain this to me thanks in advance!!!

The way it was explained to me by one of the pros was that (let me clean up what he said )

Anyone can smoke in an electric or gas smoker as you set em and cook.

But you have to know what you are doing to produce great smoked meat over coals or wood.

The way he said it would get me banned from the site .

so kcbs and mbs rules state that you cannot use electric or gas as your heat source.

Jumpin Jim Woodsmall has done a couple up here in iowa, the fart burners against the pellet poopers, it was originally called LPQUE, this year it was LPQUE2, if Jim had his way it would be a series of events across the country, we'll see, I would never put anything past Jim, don't forget he is the guy that sued the KCBS LOL. The best news is he santions the contest through KCBS and this year Mike Lake the KCBS president was the rep in charge.

Last edited:
LeeAnn does use a southern pride cooker, the propane/gas is disconnected, and uses charcoal and wood as heat source, also the electric is only for rack rotation and convection fans inside cooker, not for heat source. hope this helps. 
Thanks for clearing that up bbqhead.

The way it was explained to me by one of the pros was that (let me clean up what he said )

But you have to know what you are doing to produce great smoked meat over coals or wood.

The way he said it would get me banned from the site .

so kcbs and mbs rules state that you cannot use electric or gas as your heat source.
I wonder if the pro you speak of is Myron Mixon? He's the one that comes to mind that would cuss like that. I really can't stand him!

But you have to know what you are doing to produce great smoked meat over coals or wood
This kinda ticks me off every time I see it or hear it talked about. But come on!!!!!! Really now... Is there that much difference between propane and a pellet? Myself I think the pellet is a fantastic idea, pretty clever. But maybe kcbs outta say the pellets can't use a thermostat, a team member must turn the auger on and off when the temp needs attention.  But the southern prides are in the same boat along with the guru's and stokers. Oh ya the pid's too. Now these last ones mentioned are not as automated as the pellet since all the others still need someone to add wood or coals, but they still use a thermo to regulate the fans that control the fire to some extent.

I really don't have a problem with any of these cooking methods, I just find the comp rules to be, well I won't go there. But maybe the hotdog rule makers outta take a breath and think about how silly some of there rules are.

There is a few other rules that I don't think are quite right but chances are they aren't gonna change. So long as those of us that attend sanctioned events cook good food and have fun, thats all that matters.

Oh Yes, Sorry for the rant.

Eman, The 1st comp I ever went to was: Any method of St Louis style ribs, they had the ribs that you could pick out (2) and then your choice heat source.  
I'm sorry, That should have read every kcbs / mbs  event i have been to has a rule against electricity and / or gas for the heat source..

you can power your rotisery w/ 110  or you puter , but not cook w/ it

I don't do competitions, so I don't have a dog in this fight, but I've wondered this myself. I guess what confuses me is that if you ask any pro, they will almost universally say you can't get a quality smoke from an electric smoker. So my question is, if that is indeed the case, then wouldn't the electrics in fact be at a disadvantage, and therefore why would wood or coal smokers object?  I do understand the issue with keeping the 'fire', but if you are in a competition, then keeping your smoker at the temp is pretty much second nature, so don't really get that either. Plus, one of the arguments against the electrics in general is the fact that their temps aren't in fact, uniform....element on, element off...etc.  So my simple mind is confused...which is not hard to do.......

I wonder if the pro you speak of is Myron Mixon? He's the one that comes to mind that would cuss like that. I really can't stand him!
I'm assuming you've never met him in person.  The fact is, Myron is a very nice guy and a lot of what you see on TV is just that.  TV.  I have talked to him on several occasions and he has been nothing but friendly.  I have been witness to him stopping in the middle of his chicken prep and taking pictures with fans, after which he excused himself to finish what he was doing.  You can't believe everything you see on TV, just like you can't believe everything you read on the internet. 

No it wasn't myron . it was one that you would never expect to say something like that. Not going to say who.He may have just been having a bad day.

I use an MES 40 all the time now. I'll put my smoked flavor and tenderness on brisket up against any stick burner.  Only thing i don't have is that lip stick smoke ring. 

why no electric,      real reason is the sponsors don't sell electricity or propane................ most big timers now don't control heat that is done by electric fans but they still need charcoal   money makes the world go round

I'm assuming you've never met him in person.  The fact is, Myron is a very nice guy and a lot of what you see on TV is just that.  TV.  I have talked to him on several occasions and he has been nothing but friendly.  I have been witness to him stopping in the middle of his chicken prep and taking pictures with fans, after which he excused himself to finish what he was doing.  You can't believe everything you see on TV, just like you can't believe everything you read on the internet. 

Hello Red Valley BBQ. You're right. I haven't met him. But... I don't think the language and attitude can be excused as a TV act. You don't see others acting and talking that way. I wish I could say that I admire the heck out of Mr. Mixon. He's done more for the popularity of BBQ than any other... but... I can't watch the shows he's on if my son is in the room. I think that's a shame. It's not like I have the channel on Showtime... or HBO... It's the Destination Channel for goodness sakes. That should be family TV in my opinion. But... you know what they say about opinions.

I would rather have a picture with Tuffy! :grilling_smilie:

Hello Red Valley BBQ. You're right. I haven't met him. But... I don't think the language and attitude can be excused as a TV act. You don't see others acting and talking that way. I wish I could say that I admire the heck out of Mr. Mixon. He's done more for the popularity of BBQ than any other... but... I can't watch the shows he's on if my son is in the room. I think that's a shame. It's not like I have the channel on Showtime... or HBO... It's the Destination Channel for goodness sakes. That should be family TV in my opinion. But... you know what they say about opinions.

I would rather have a picture with Tuffy!
grilling_smilie.gif
Tuffy is a stand up guy.  He's the only competitor I have competed against, that if time allows, goes to everyone's site and wishes them good luck the morning of turn ins.

I certainly agree with you that Destination America should be a family friendly channel.  And Myron definitely goes overboard at times with the bad attitude on TV, but that is contrary to my personal interactions with him.  I could tell you stories of a "semi-famous" BBQ celebrity that is just the opposite.  On TV this pitmaster is nice and cordial, and is that way during personal interactions, but during the time around turn ins, I've heard some language that would make a sailor blush....on more than one occasion. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky