Compare thermometers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dale5351

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Columbia, MD
I'd like to hear peoples opinions on the different thermometers in use -- especially from those who have had more than one type.

I see a lot of talk about ET73 and other models by Maverick.

The one I have is a Taylor Trutemp, model 1470N.  I'm on my second one.  They seem to last about two years.  The weak point seems to be in the connections inside the probe.  They get shorted out or pulled out and the thermometer acts crazy.  However, I have looked at reviews for the Maverick models and they seem to have a similar problem.

I've done some web searches and cost of a new cord for my model is about $13, and a new device is about $20.   Cost on the ET73 seems to be about $40.

I should say that the Taylor is not a remote -- but I don't really care.

What say the rest of you?

i cannot say whether the et-73 is the most accurate, has the best range for the reciever etc...  but the thing the et-73 has which makes it king is the 2nd probe, which actually can be used for two different pieces of meat if wanted, but is the programable high and low  temp alerts on the one probe. find it almost essential for montoring smoke box temps, not only does it alert you when temps get too high but also when too low, has helped me many times to keep smoker in range, even when i was using my gosm and tank went mt... if another brand had this feature then they would have some serious competition if simalarily priced.

My MES has a thermostat and so when I am hot smoking, it stays within a few degrees of where it is set.  That is unless the connection to the heating coil craps out (which has happened to me twice in four years).

I can see that a high warning would be good for cold smoking where I don't want the temperature to go above 80-90F.  That probably is not a problem for you up in the frozen north:-}}

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky