Comp pork, Money muscle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

essexsmoker

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 13, 2015
Essex, UK
Hi All,

Had a quick look but search came up with nothing, which I find hard to believe, but there you go.

Anyway, I would like to know what everyone does with their money muscle (mm) for comp butts.

I remove mine at 180F IT and then try to hold it until the rest of the butt comes up to temp.
I am finding it hard to keep it warm without it over cooking.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks, Ant.

I don't compete but why not pull it at 165. Then put it back and time it to finish with the rest of the pork...JJ

KCBS rules state that pork must be cooked whole until done and then you can cut it up.....what is considered done? Anything over 165 would be my guess. I would call or email KCBS and ask

Chef JJ - Good idea as the last one I trimmed competition style (I do not compete) the money muscle totally fell apart when the larger pieces were up to temp. I will pull it early and return it as you suggest. Thanks.

Last edited:
Chef JJ - Good idea as the last one I trimmed competition style (I do not compete) the money muscle totally fell apart when the larger pieces were up to temp. I will pull it early and return it as you suggest. Thanks.

Don't know if you do or not, but it pays to rest it for a bit. If you cut into it too soon it will crumble.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I don't compete but why not pull it at 165. Then put it back and time it to finish with the rest of the pork.
Can you elaborate on this some more for us new guys please? Do You pull the butt and remove it or trim it before you start the cook and just remove the piece.

perhaps there is a thread already. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky