Commercial preped Turkeys

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hounds51

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Lebanon Bolongatown P.A.
Does anyone know if the commercial prepared turkeys have instacure 1 cure. I am thinking of smoking some Butterball or simular turkeys, and need to know if they are properly cured for a long slow smoke. Thinking of doing a 8 hour smoke, Smoke temps about 165 degs. Then finishing in the oven.

I do not believe that the enhanced solution that is used to pack the turkeys has an actual cure in it. I believe its more a salt solution and different packers use different solutions or at least different strengths

They will say "cured" on the label ifin indeed they contain it, most er just "enhanced" which is supposed ta make em juicer an a bit heavier.

Ifin yer gonna cold smoke one, I'd soak it fer a couple a hours changin the water out bout ever 30 minutes ta remove most a the enhance solution then cure it.

I am wondering if I were to bake this in the oven till done, then smoke for about 3 hours at 165 degrees. I guess as long as I don't let the bird fall below 140 degrees I should be ok, I am just wondering how the bird will take the smoke?

Heck, that bein the case, just brine it an smoke it! There not really all that hard ta do. I just wouldn't recommend doin one much over 12 ta 13 pounds, need more bird then that, smoke 2!

I do turkey in the smoker at bout 325° ta hep get em through that 40° - 140° range as quick as possible, cause ya don't wanna be there fer more then 4 hours.

Smoked turkey is very fine indeed!

Ya can spatchcock em to which works real well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky