Commercial fridge freezer conversion

Discussion in 'Electric Smokers' started by walleyejason, Jan 12, 2010.

1. walleyejason

walleyejason Newbie

So, I posted this over at the propane smoker a while back, after a lot of research and looking for a way to control the heat I decided on converting my find into an electric smoker with a PID controller.

This was my test run with the controller, now I cant wait to get this thing finished up. Got to finish mounting the element, and running the TC. adding a drip guard that will cover the elements. I will be able to cook/smoke two different things at different temps with a second controller.

I'm doing a large batch of snack sticks, and summer sausage in 2 weeks. I think I should be able to get about 200 lbs cooking at the same time.

Qview to come!

2. brohnson

brohnson Smoking Fanatic

That is an awesome set-up, nice work :)

3. nickelmore

nickelmore Smoking Fanatic

That is an awsome rig. What did you decide to do with the left side compartment?

Did you use a relay or SSR on the PID?

Looks good.

4. mulepackin

mulepackin Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That is a fantastic looking rig. Keep us posted on your progress and provide lots of details on how and what you have done to it.

5. walleyejason

walleyejason Newbie

I used an SSR with the PID, I cannot believe how easy it was to set up. I'm looking at adding a Bradley Smoke Generator to this rig. I just have ot figure out how to make on generator fill both chambers.

I'll keep posting here with updates, I can't wait to smoke in this thing.

6. morkdach

morkdach Master of the Pit OTBS Member

super start keep updating thanks[​IMG]

7. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That should make an awesome smoker...[​IMG]

8. allen

allen Smoking Fanatic

Hey once you finish, I'll exchange my MES 40 SS for that, Keep us in touch with the build