Combating the Clumps

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jmedic25

Meat Mopper
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 25, 2006
North Georgia
I was wondering what ya'll do to keep stored homemade rubs from clumping. Most storebought rubs have silicone dioxide added to them to absorb moisture. I was hoping that the high salt content would be enough but it is still clumping. Any answers?????? I also am talking about a rub that has a good bit of brown sugar and paprika in it. I think the sugar is the culprit.

Yeah, that is a problem... even though I store mine in an airtight container. What I do is vigorously shake the container, pour some in a bowl, then use a wire wisk to "fluff" it up.

Works4me

There are places that sell moisture absorption "rocks". they do seem to work well. I use them in my spices out in my RV. Bed Bath & Beyond sells them. they kinda look like a ginger snap cookie in size and shape. I'm sure they're are other types available.

you could try drying your brown suger first. my granny puts rice in her salt shaker to keep it from clumping, but shes old.

Thats funny!!
icon_lol.gif

i always used rice in salt shakers (i think everyone in a humid climate does)i was thinking about using it in lil' spice bags in the rubs as i tend to pour a bit or rub & spread it instead of shake out.

I make my rubs fresh every time, just depending on what im cooking. Should i be making a large quantity of it and storing it?

You can make a batch and store it in a air tite container or freeze it, i will last longer than you think.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky