Combating the Clumps

Discussion in 'Sauces, Rubs & Marinades' started by jmedic25, Oct 18, 2007.

1. jmedic25

jmedic25 Meat Mopper OTBS Member

I was wondering what ya'll do to keep stored homemade rubs from clumping. Most storebought rubs have silicone dioxide added to them to absorb moisture. I was hoping that the high salt content would be enough but it is still clumping. Any answers?????? I also am talking about a rub that has a good bit of brown sugar and paprika in it. I think the sugar is the culprit.

2. javajoe

javajoe Smoke Blower

I usually put it right back in the processor and WALA, all the clumps are gone

3. gypsyseagod

gypsyseagod Master of the Pit OTBS Member

i shake the begeesus outta it ....

4. hawgheaven

hawgheaven Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Yeah, that is a problem... even though I store mine in an airtight container. What I do is vigorously shake the container, pour some in a bowl, then use a wire wisk to "fluff" it up.

Works4me

5. ba_loko

ba_loko Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

There are places that sell moisture absorption "rocks". they do seem to work well. I use them in my spices out in my RV. Bed Bath & Beyond sells them. they kinda look like a ginger snap cookie in size and shape. I'm sure they're are other types available.

6. smokebuzz

smokebuzz Master of the Pit OTBS Member

you could try drying your brown suger first. my granny puts rice in her salt shaker to keep it from clumping, but shes old.

7. jmedic25

jmedic25 Meat Mopper OTBS Member

Thats funny!![​IMG]

8. smokebuzz

No, it's true

9. gypsyseagod

gypsyseagod Master of the Pit OTBS Member

i always used rice in salt shakers (i think everyone in a humid climate does)i was thinking about using it in lil' spice bags in the rubs as i tend to pour a bit or rub & spread it instead of shake out.

10. tailgatingpirate

tailgatingpirate Fire Starter

I make my rubs fresh every time, just depending on what im cooking. Should i be making a large quantity of it and storing it?

11. deer meat

deer meat Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

That is exactly what I do[​IMG]

12. smokebuzz

You can make a batch and store it in a air tite container or freeze it, i will last longer than you think.