Cole Slaw?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coffee_junkie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 17, 2009
Helena, MT
I have read numerous times that it is really good to serve pulled pork sammies on a cheap white bun topped with "slaw". Does that mean the slaw is prepared with the dressing or is it just the raw slaw veggies? I served this last weekend with the prepared cole slaw with dressing, it was really good but just wondering what everybody else does.

The cole slaw that you would eat as a side, not just the plain cabage/carrots.

I don't like slaw, and almost never eat it. Wifey likes slaw, but when I told her she should eat it on top of the pulled pork, she looked at me the same way she does when I start taking Q-view of what I cook.
rolleyes.gif

I love it equally, as a side OR on the BBQ sammich!

I have a super-simple recipe for cole slaw that two of my friends have said is the sweetest, bestest they've had...

I know I like it
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Slaw on pp sammies is IMHO the best way to eat pp.
biggrin.gif
You make the slaw as you normally would and then just heap it on the pp on the bun and enjoy. I use the slaw recipe I got from Tip (travcoman45). It's awesome.

I have always heard a pulled pork sandwich with the cole slaw on the sandwich called "carolina style". whatever style it is it is great, and the way I eat mine.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Personally I don't care for coleslaw and almost never eat it, but I'll be damned if I'm having a pp sammie without a mound on top.
Pure Heavenly goodness.

This is the way of The South, indeed! Prepared coleslaw on top of the mound of meat on a soft white bun may be called Carolina Style, but growing up in Virginia, that was the only way we ate it. Doesn't really matter what state claims the name~ I call it G-O-O-D. Also sometimes add a dash of Tabasco on top of the coleslaw.

You did A-OK there, Coffee_Junkie!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Thanks for the replies....so I just used a bag of prepared cole slaw greens and a bottle of hidden valley cole slaw dressing for the first time to see if I liked it...does anybody have a dressing recipie they are willing to share?

1/2 cup heavy creme

1/3 cup sugar

3 tbs white vinegar

1/2 tsp salt

3/4 cup mayo

5 1/2 cups slaw mixture

1 cup pineapple bits

in a large bowl wisk together the heavy creme, sugar, vinegar, salt and mayo. Add the slaw mix and pineapple and toss together with the creme mixture....chill and serve
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Here is the one I use all the time...

1 bag store bought coleslaw mix
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/2C white sugar
1/2C white vinegar
6T vegetable oil
1/2T salt
1/2T dry mustard
black pepper to taste

Put slaw mix in a large bowl, pour sugar over the top and toss till mixed.
In a small sauce pan bring all other ingredients to a boil, cool completely and pour over the slaw mix.
Toss it all together and let rest in the fridge at least one day.
Drain the excess liquid off before serving.

We call them "Rio Rancho Pulled Pork Wraps" A large flour tortilla with PP, Slaw, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, a squirt of spicy BBQ sauce and a scoop of Green Chile, roll it and you have the perfect 1 handed meal, the only way you could make it better is to either deep fry it or put it on a stick.
icon_mrgreen.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky