• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Cold Smoking

az_redneck

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 8, 2006
I saw this while surfing the web and thought it might be a good thing to use. Anyone have one of these or have an opinion? It's a cold smoker that you light the "dust" in the pan and put it in your smoker and it'll smoke for about 6-12 hours depending on how much wood you add. It won't bring the item you are smoking hotter than 70'

I saw it at http://www.coldsmoked.com/site/1590297/page/45029

(I have no financial interest in this product..I just found it while surfing the "smoke-ring")
7f871be8_vbattach11527.jpg

a201d121_vbattach11382.jpg

6d0f3cb1_vbattach11246.jpg

263bd568_vbattach11107.jpg

coz

Meat Mopper
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 21, 2006
As I was studying the pic the thought occurred to me it looks like it is made from aluminum.Isnt untreated aluminum in cooking related areas a no-no?

az_redneck

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 8, 2006
Quote from their site:

"Made in the USA of TIG welded 16GA cold rolled steel. "

No worries

chris_harper

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 21, 2006
you see how much they want for it?!? i can make one myself at work, for free. if i wanted one that is.

larry maddock

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 27, 2005
i wonder--
how do they light the dust/chips????

is there a channel we dont see????

pigcicles

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 25, 2006
If anyone happens to buy one, report back with pics / description of the unit and how well it works. I think a lot of the hot smokers are interested in smoked cheese and the like. Just some of us are a little more "crafty" than others.

Keep Smokin

az_redneck

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 8, 2006
$47 and change...Includes 2# of alder dust and shipping..

According to their site, they light a corner of it with a teaspoon of lighter fluid and it supposedly smoulders for up to 12 hours..

larry maddock

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 27, 2005
do you think ever clear or 151 proof rum will start the fire???

wont lighter fluid impart a bad taste????my honey is putting me on a
tee totaling diet come 1/1/07...

my smoker will not get above 225 f in winter,,,
i have convinced her that smoked chicken in very
calorie consious......
thats beer can chicken!!!

the i5i rum may help me out....

chris_harper

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 21, 2006
that is what i was talking about- $47, for that? that is crazy. if i wanted one, i could build it at work, for free. and 2lbs of alder is not worth that much, to me anyway.

wetback42

Joined Dec 18, 2006
is that "dust" just saw dust, chips from a chain saw or maybe a combination, any ideas?

walking dude

Smoking Guru
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 5, 2007
looks like a mouse maze........with the mouse in the lower left hand corner.....LOLOL

Wd

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.