Cold smoked venison sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rick Westfall

Original poster
Nov 30, 2018
I have an issue with my venison sausage. Sometimes I will get some 'hollowing" in the center of the sticks? The sticks are 2 lbs and I really don't believe it is because they are not packed tight enough. We use perforated plastic casings and will even bust a few because we pack them to tight. It seems to me that for some reason they pull apart. Our process is about 5 to 7 days in the smoke house at 60 degrees or so and then I hang them in my garage (about 50 degrees in there) for about 4 to 5 days to let the smoke draw through. We do not raise the temp to 165 because then they become a hot smoked sausage. We like the raw sausage and use curing salt. Have been doing it in our family for 100 yrs and haven't lost a man yet. LOL
My thoughts are
1) maybe to lean (we do 30% pork shoulder)
2) we add water and maybe they dry out
Hoping someone has had the same issue and knows whats wrong.

I cant help but with CWD being in a lot of states I myself would never make a cold smoked sausage out of deer, its not crossed the species barrier but they are very worried that it can and will

I am using a 15 lb sausage press. I have been doing some reading and I may be getting air in the press and that would be why it is in the sticks?

Quite possibly..but also if it dried too fast you could get the dreaded hollow center. Is your humidity level up high enough?

I am using a 15 lb sausage press. I have been doing some reading and I may be getting air in the press and that would be why it is in the sticks?
yes, care must be taken when filling the sausage stuffer can. I fill 1/4 full and them press down on the meat with a rubber spatula, then continue filling in this manner until full.

When filling the casings, a little back pressure towards the stuffer horn will force the air away from the link and towards the horn....

Reactions: Widowmaker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky