Cold Shoulder?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

delta dick

Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
New to smoking, have a Smoking Pro w/ all the mods. Have a 8# butt in it rite now, am using mesquite
charcoal chunks. Have 2 good temp. gages on the lid, am having a hard time keeping the temp at 250, it don't like to get over 200, with all of the vents wide open. I'm not sure what to do, more charcoal, more hickory chips, or more beer? HELP.

Dick

Mesquite CHARCOAL BRIQUETTES I assume? You should be using a lump charcoal..more heat/unit of weight. Besides, it's adding another flavor you might not want. But unless you have plain lump available, you need to add more charcoal. Light it first in a chimney, or over a gas burner.

If you are have trouble getting up to 250, you might add a few coals and leave the SFB open a couple of minutes to feed the fire a bit.

or

What Rich says...

Thanks Guys, It is lump, I'll get some more started in the chimney, open the door on the firebox & see what happens.

Dick

I started more lump in the chimney, opened the door on the sfb & now it is at 250. Am trying to figure out how to add photos to my posts.

Dick

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky