Cold and Smoking in MN

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

toolmaker

Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
Minnesota
Hello everyone,

I am known as Brian the Toolmaker. I own a small Tool and Die shop in the Western suburbs of Minneapolis. I have a Brinkman Gasser that is a 16 x 16. I got it for fathers day last year. I smoked a couple of things before finding SMF. Put it this way, they were edible, and that's all I can say. Since finding SMF I have since brined and smoked a thanksgiving turkey that everyone agreed was the best they ever tasted (Piney sent me the recipe) Excellent! I also made some Canadian Bacon which I cured for 7 days, a recommendation of SMF post. It turned out perfect. My 84 year old father told me it was better that you could buy in the store. I almost fell off of my chair. I also made some killer pepper beef jerky, another recipe from SMF. I am so glad that I did not make the Hot pepper beef jerky. You southern guys have to remember that us northerners can't take the heat like you guys can. My next batch I'll back off the spice a little. My a**h*le will thank me for that. With all of that being said. If you guys have any questions for me or ideas for something that could be made to make smoking easier feel free to bounce it off of me. I'm a pretty good fabricator and tinkerer. I can make or fix just about anything metal or plastic.

Welcome, Glad to have you with us. This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For Those of you New to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.
Click Here it's "FREE"... 5 Day eCourse

Everyone here enjoys seeing the Qview so be sure to post plenty of pics...

Large ones that us old people with bad eyes can see.

When you uploading to Photobucket I always use the Large IMG setting, 640 x 480 it is a nice size...

How to post Qview to Forum:

For Step By Step Instructions On Posting Qview Check Out This Tutorial

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=82034

toolmaker
Welcome to SMF, glad you joined us !!!

If I was a betting man, I would double down on saying you fabricate your own home built smoker with in the next year.....

Hello Brian,I hear ya on the realy hot stuff,here in Minnesota they consider milk a spice and like their coffee clear. Best of luck with your smoking , it's sure entertaining .I did some ABT's this wekend along with a Canadian bacon and a fattie. I think if your going to smoke things fill er up.THe ABT"S I used pepper jack cheese and you had a 50 /50 chance of getting a hot one but they were a hit with my 87 year old mother,thats all I need .Have fun , sniff around. It's a friendly bunch here.Bill

Hello Brian, welcome aboard from another Minnesotan. Glad you found us and it sounds like you have been making some really good smokes since you stumbled upon us. Keep it up
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
:PDT_Armat az_01_34:

I think that I'm going to build my own. I'm having a lot of fun and just like everyone else here, I am going to share my victories as well as my misfortunes. My first project is a cold smoke generator. If anyone has ideas or suggestions let me know. I already have read quite a bit about them. I've been smoking in -10 deg temps up here. I haven't had any problems with keeping my temps in my smoker down. Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone. Having read many posts by all of you and looking at your Qview has helped me out tremendously in my smoking ventures. Thanks to you all!

First off welcome Brian to SMF. You'll like it here cause there are abunch of good folks here that would just love to help you out with just about anything to do with smoking. We really like to have newbies here because they can bring in a new propective to how things are done. There's nothing like a new set of eyes to give and new way to make things that little differant to make things alittle better. So I hope you know about the Qview here.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=58920
Here's a link to photobucket it's free and easy to download pictures. Then if your really new to smoking Look up the E-course.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...play.php?f=127
It's also free and it will give you the basics of smoking. So after all of that you just need to go grab something to smoke and if you have any question just post them here and we will answer it quickly so you don't have any mishaps with your smoke.
Welcome To Your New Addiction

Welcome to the forum. You folks from Minnesota and Wisconsin need to figure out that "bland" is not a seasoning!
biggrin.gif
Live a little and get some jalapeno and cayenne in there.
tongue.gif

Bassman
My tastebuds have always enjoyed a combination of Louisiana, Mexico and Texas; but I find as I get older the upper midwest milder seasonings is all my backside wants my tastebuds to crave !!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky