coconut charcoal?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crawdaddy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Pensacola, FL
hello all,

has anyone tried this charcoal called Coshell?  I had a coupon for some in today's paper and might go pick up a bag later.. I'd never heard of if before today.

It looks to be made of coconut shells so I am wondering about flavor.

on that same note, has anyone tried burning coconut shells for smoke wood?

I can't tell you anything about the coconut charcoal, but I use 1/4 to 1/2 of  the coconut shell mixed in with lump in my WSM when I smoke chicken, it gives a light coconut flavor that we really enjoy.

Gene

thanks y'all.

gene- do you age the coconut shells or what?  i've got some shells around but the one time i tried to use them they just kinda burned.

alright, i tried the charcoal last night.  it burned very clean.  i think it was around 5$ for 9# and i had a coupon for 1.50 off. 

crawdaddy,

No, they aren't "aged" maybe 2-3 weeks since we cracked them open. I don't know if it makes a difference, but we use brown coconuts rather than the green, you know, it's just easier to get the husk off.

I break them up to about the size of a silver dollar and mix them in with my lump, they burn up, I haven't found any chunks left after a smoke, but I found they last about 1 1/2 hours when smoking chicken at high temps, did the charcoal give you any coconut flavor?

Gene

no, the charcoal didn't give any flavor really.  it did burn hot and clean so it worked out good where i live.  i liked it   in my opinion it did a good job.  sometimes the regular charcoal i use puts off a bit of smoke and i don't want to bother the neighbors.  that is just firing it up in the chimney though...  this stuff ,really i didn't know was burning at all the whole time.  i like the wood to smoke a bit - not the charcoal.

thanks for the response on the shells.  i have some in a bag and will try them next chicken cook.  i tried them once and as i said it just resulted in fire but we'll see.  these were brown as well. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky