cobbler

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

busters bbq

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
Vermilion Bay Ontario
tried a cobbler, or atleast an attempt at one tonight.

used peach pie filling, and a real sweet cornmeal batter. an sprinkled cinnimin sugar and nutmeg over the top. baled in over at 425 until it looked cooked. it was good and all. I googled imaged come cobbler after i made mine and the topping i seen in pics looks more like a pastry.

anyone have any advice?

im thinking i can make up a couple dozen for the weekend dinners in the restuarant.

I've made a over a thousand cobblers, yes that is correct, hey when yer in scouts ya make a bunch of em over the years! The pie fillin works fine, use it all the time, now fer the toppin, we've always used a cake mix, just mix up followin the directions an pour over the top a yer pie fillin, bake at 350* till the cake be done. A very tasety treat indeed! These work great fer big batch's. There also be a recipe fer cobbler with a sourdough toppin, thin it was on here too, will have ta see ifin I can find it fer ya.

The scout type cobbler always be a hit no matter who we be feedin it to though.

Good luck.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=20901
Here's one from the Iowa Gatherin in July.

Here's the sourdough one.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...rdough+cobbler

I prefer more of a biscuit type topper on my cobbler. The sourdough fills that bill nicely. Otherwise, I use the recipe from what we refer to as "The Plaid Cookbook" in my house, the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. I can post it if you don't have that book and are interested.

this is one that me and the family love, it is apple cobbler, this recipe makes enough foor about 8 servings, and it fits nice in a 9x13
  • Apple Filling:
  • 5 cups apples, peeled, sliced
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon butter, softened
  • Topping:
  • 1/2 cup flour, sifted
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 egg, slightly beaten
Preparation:

In a medium bowl, combine apples, 3/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon salt, vanilla and water. Turn into a lightly buttered 9x13-inch pan. Dot apples with 1 tablespoon butter.
Combine all topping ingredients. Beat with wooden spoon until batter is smooth. Drop batter in 9 portions, over the apples, spacing evenly. Batter will spread during baking. Bake 35 to 40 minutes at 375° or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown. Serve warm with cream or ice cream.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky