Click here if you want to see a nice butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daboys

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 30, 2008
Ft. Dodge Ia
Not that kind! Started this 8* butt at 5 AM. After 12 hrs I'm at 170. This is the longest butt I've done so far. Made some of Dutches beans, sweet slaw, and an acorn squash and some peppers I got from work. I think they are Anaheims. About 6" long. Taste like a bell pepper. Wasn't planning on doing these cause I used the last of the bacon on the beans. So just stuffed them w/cheese and poked into a little loaf pan. More pics later.

scored and ready to go

a little tbs for WD

peppers

Man, thats gonna be a 14 1/2-15 hr butt! Thats crazy! I Like the scoring pattern! Make sure ya get a pic that that mean ole butt gets pulled. Sometimes the longer ones are the tenderest!
wink.gif

Thanks everyone. Up to 180 now. 20* more to go! I think this one will only sit in the cooler for 1 hr instead of 2. Besides, THE game is on at 8:00

• It's done! 13hrs 45 min. This was done on my new gosm I picked up last week. Should work out pretty good this winter. Smoked with hickory and some lump charcoal around 240*. Sprayed w/pinnaple juice. Foiled it at 167 then bumped the smoker up to 255 till it hit 200*. In the cooler for about an hr.
all done

pulled

plated

That Butt Rocks! Nice smoke ring and it looks very very good. Nice job!

with pork butts you can go higher on temps 300-350 in the GOSM with out any damage, a pork butt is so greasy anyway it will almost deep fat fry its self making a better finished product in the end, still use the fork test when you can twist it 180deg with no efferet then its done but your bark will be much better and crisper, but let the meat tell you when its done, temp is just one part of it the meat will tell you the rest, trust me it will.

Thanks everyone. It was well worth the wait!

Just don't say that in public Eric.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky