Cleaning our smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

elaine

Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
I am just "the wife" not allowed to touch the smoker. However the husband thinks the smoker has become nasty and possibly moldy since we've used it. How should we clean it? I don 't know the brand but it is not stainless steel, it's black, sets up tall and has 4 or 5 racks. Need to know ASAP-thanks

Is it a gas model, electric, or charcoal? I would recommend cleaning the racks your food is on. I don't believe that you need to clean the interior as that would require you to re-season the smoker. Temps should come up high enough to kill out any bacteria growth before any food goes into the smoker anyway

That's my take on it anyway

What Pig said...........

But if you don't mind reasoning and water won't hurt it (thinking electric), blast it with a pressure washer, scrub it, rinse it, and reseason. That drastic of measure is not usually needed on a backyard unit though.

For me personally, I get a scraper and get the chunks out every so often and don't worry much about the rest.

Elaine,

From what you describe, it sounds as though you have a GOSM which many of us use (myself included, I have two). If yours has a drip pan around the heating element, remove it and scrape out any congealed grease and other drippings with a plastic putty knife and discard. Same for the side walls. No sprays or degreasers as anything left is "seasoning." Before you cook anything, fire it up for a dry run and get her good and hot with just a few chunks of wood and/or charcoal for an hour or so and that'll sterilize the cabinet just fine. The racks can be cleaned with any commercial grill cleaner and a wire brush, just be sure to rise really well with a garden hose. Or just run 'em through the diswasher once or twice, if ya got one.

Good luck and keep smokin'!

Cheers,
Brian

BTW .. Elaine - Wife of man smoker.. Welcome to SMF. Please hang around and learn the tricks of the trade. You might even teach the hubby a thing or two.

Check in at the Roll Call forum and tell us a bit about Mrs Wife not allowed to touch the smoker. If you have any questions on anything please ask - we love quizzes

I also just scrape the crusty stuff out & keep on smokin.

I'm with Pigcicles "Check in at the Roll Call forum and tell us a bit about Mrs Wife not allowed to touch the smoker. If you have any questions on anything please ask - we love quizzes"

If he won't let you touch "his" smoker it is high time you get your own & start to show him up with the info you find here
icon_rolleyes.gif

Hello Elaine and welcome to the SMF, I agree with John, if MR ........ won't let you near his, get your own. But don't let him know you joined the forum. Just start giving him some of your "Q". And watch his face.

Once you get the hang of cleaning a smoker I bet you can keep pretty busy on this site, Just kidding. I need to clean mine too.you better have a go at smokin dinner next.

If its really disgusting............ Might I suggest hitting the crud with the flame of a weed burner?
Then brush down with a grill or wire brush.
Thats how I do mine, unless pathetic. Then I will remove the racks and pressure wash them. A quarter car wash will work also.
Please.............please wear old clothes as you will be covered with chunks and specks of burnt ?????? types of crud and food.
Good Luck!

Let us know how ya made out also.

Welcome Elaine -

The only thing I've ever seen get moldy is the water pan if you forget to clean it out. Sometimes the sides of the "box" get full of spattered grease and crap I just rub in donw a bit with the brass grill brush and knock off the loose stuff.

If you foil your water pan and the botton of the smoker it helps with the clean up kind of like the oven in the house.

As far as not being allowed to touch the smoker - swatt that guy upside the head! It's just another form of cooking!

Enjoy!

Welcome to the SMF. All you had to do was ask, and friends came up with plenty of good advise. Just typical around here. Visit often, it'll be fun and educating too!

Hi Elaine- You have been given some great advise here. Get your other half to sign on to SMF. There is a number of married couples on board.

Enjoy!!

Take it to the local do-it-yourself car wash and pressure wash it. Just remove the burner if you can.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky