Cleaning my electric!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

roberdc

Original poster
Jan 13, 2014
Blackwell, OK
Well, here I reveal what a true novice I am!  Any input on how thoroughly you clean up the insides, the removable pans, etc.?  I feel like I want to sanitize everything, and then I think, "This is smoking meat!  How clean should this really be?"  Just wondering.  My biggest concerns are old drippings rotting and whether to wipe the sides with degreasers.

Thanks,

Bob Clark

I clean my grates and the drip pan after every smoke.The interior has a nice patina, and it is textured. I really don't worry.  I have never used a water pan or container to add moisture to a smoke so I have no idea if it promotes "rain", but I doubt that it does.

I  foil the cover to the smoke box and the floor of the smoker to make cleaning the drippings and fat renderings easier to remove (and I pull the foil the day after a smoke). I use a dry paper towel or old tee shirt to give the ceiling a quick swipe before pulling the foil. Any fats or grease that got under the foil I remove with a plastic putty knife, and the residual I get with a couple of paper towels. Then I foil so that the smoker is ready for the next feast.

You're suppose to clean em?!?!?!

In all honesty, I'll clean the grates once in a while... but that's about it.

I just hit my smoker grates with a wire brush same as my BBQ grill. But my food goes on separate grates that I place on the smokers grates. Makes loading and unloading easier. I then dry wipe the cabinet to remove any moisture or heavy crud. A little light crud adds character and flavor!

Last edited:
I heat it up.  I scrape the grills with a heavy duty wire brush.

I heat it up again.  I scrape the grills.

I heat it up again, and the meat goes on.

Everything is sterile.

The brown and black stuff is called seasoning?

Good luck and good smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky