Cleaning CGSP, how often ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

barneypoo69

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Kyle, Republic of Texas
I bought my CGSP w/SFB last Christmas & have used it at least 2 or 3 times a month (just about every other weekend). Most of the time I have a drip pan in the bottom with either some water or beer. I line the bottom with alum foil & change it about every other smoke. I smoke meat at temp 225-250.

I noticed after the last smoke (2 8lb briskets & a rack of pork ribs) that I might consider cleaning the lid. The lid was coated with "black gum---almost tar like).

I hung the coal tray in the main chamber, put 1 chimmney of lighted coals & closed the lid & opened the lid for the FB. I didn't have the grates in it, thank goodness.

When I checked later..........there was black tar drops coming out of the exhaust & globes of the black gum that had fallen off the lid.

I loaded another chimney & the gum became ash etc. I removed the lid & scraped it down real good.

My question, is this normal build up ?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky