1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Clean Up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sasquatch, Jan 9, 2006.

1. sasquatch

sasquatch Fire Starter OTBS Member

Hello Everyone, I have a few questions about clean up. Outside of the obvious...Racks, waterpan, and grease drip tray (GOSM). Perhaps even the the fire box now that I see all kinds of drips on it. What kind of cleaning do you do to the inside of the smoke box? Should I wipe down the walls, The inside of the top( condensation). Being new and all, I want to do the right thing to add life to my smoker and new found passion. Thanks in advance for any help and advice,
    Todd

2. Dutch

Dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member OTBS Admin SMF Premier Member

Todd, I spray everything down with "Greased Lighting" cleaner, let it sit for a bit then hit it with a power washer. Get the water hot enough and anything remaining will evaporate pretty quick.

3. bob-bqn

bob-bqn Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I line the water pan with heavy duty foil prior to filling with water. Makes cleaning a breeze.

The racks get soaked in a rectangular plastic tube prior to cleaning with a plastic brush.

The grease tray in the Big Block gets scraped with a plastic "Bondo" applicator (like used for automotive body work) to remove solidified grease, then a strong concentration of dish soap occasionally for a more thorough cleaning.

The smoker sits in an automotive drip pan to keep fat drippings from getting all over the concrete in case of a leak.

4. sasquatch

sasquatch Fire Starter OTBS Member

Thanks for the advice guys, my smoke house thanks you .....and So do I ofcoarse.
    Todd