Citrus Rubbed Salmon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richoso1

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 21, 2007
Rubbed a salmon fillet with a new rub I put together just for this smoke. I then foiled it and let it setup in the fridge for 3 hrs. I unwrapped it and gave a coating of reg. olive oil, rewrapped it and put it back in the fridge till the next morning.

Citrus Rub:
1 part sea salt
1 part fresh ground mixed peppercorns (white, green, black)
1-1/2 parts powdered honey
½ part lemon zest
½ part orange zest

Using the top rack with the GOSM at itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s lowest setting (cabinet in the sun) it pegged at 225º, using cherry wood I smoked the salmon until internal temp hit 155º.
Side Note: In the future I would use 1 part each of the lemon and orange zest. Also noted that there was not much of a smoke ring.
4b1fb61f_vbattach18436.jpg

d9683e39_vbattach18435.jpg

ca7357ca_vbattach18434.jpg

c70e647e_vbattach18433.jpg

1969661a_vbattach18432.jpg

Well Dang! How did it taste?? Looks very nice and your recipe sounds good too. My wife and I are currently in an experiment with salmon. I have dried orange and lemon peel (not sure which to use yet), fresh lime-basil leaf and I'm going to mix with panko flour and ground almonds to give it a crust. What do you think? If you want some of the dried peel, let me know via PM and I'll send ya some.

Rivet, it has a light smoke flavor and the spices were not overwhelming. Gloria and her mom really liked it, and they don't usually eat salmon, unless it's smoked. I have the orange and lemon dried peel, I use them in marinades and pestos. Your recipe sounds like a winner, let us know how it came out. Good luck and good smokin'.

I don't dry it. I buy it in the store (Target), its really good and fresh. Sorry if I misled you on that. If you have trouble finding some, let me know and I can square you away. As far as the recipe goes, (its a work-in-progress) I think I'm going to have to soak them a bit before incorporating it in the coating since the granules are turning out to be a bit crunchier than I had in mind.

I use a similar recipie but use orange marmalde instead of whole orange, and add balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, and a shot of Patron. mmmmmm good.

"borrowed" the recipie from outback restaurant.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky