Citrus Flavors and Herbs. What Wood to Smoke With?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

culinaryseductions

Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
Toronto
Hey all,

I wanted to know what kind of smoke if any would go great with lemon and or lime flavors. I want an end product that has a savory sauce not a sweet one. I am new to the world of smoking. In the past I would cook ribs over a charcoal grill and then braise them with my citrus concoction and then finish them back on the grill. They would come out amazing but, so labor intensive.

I don't want too much smoke. Just a kiss of love that will make them true bbg and have more depth. I am thinking cherry is subtle and nice? I was also thinking of throwing some herbs in the smoker. What effect would they have?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks....

Some people use herbs in the water but I dont know if it really does anything other then smell good.

Cherry is a nice light smoking wood. So is apple.

If you want something a little stronger pecan is also very nice.

you have some good ideas. But I have not tried every thing as yet. (woods herbs ect) I would consider not using strange things to smoke with that have not already been tried by some one. like cashews, they are poisonous untill roasted and the smoke emmited while roasting is not good to breath or get on your skin. I would like to see a list of what not to use. A wood I have not seen on here as yet, but does not mean it is not here is mahogany. I have used it in the past and make for a great flavor. But it can be pover bearing.
But I see all the herbs and spices being used on the food network. flay uses them on the grill.don't see why you could not soak some in beer, wine, bourbon even water they lay them on the cooler side of the heat. or even on some foil over the heat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky