CitiSlicker says hi

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

citislicker

Original poster
Feb 18, 2015
Hello all,

I am Myles, aka CitiSlicker. 

I call myself that because I used to live in NYC, now in South Jersey. 

I never new what I have been missing. I love the farm and open land South Jersey has. 

Anyway, I have been down in South Jersey for 10 +years now, and I own a Maveric Vertical Smoker, and Master Built Charcoal Grill. 

I really want to own one of these horizontal smokers because of the thickness of steel and how they old temp better than those models sold at stores. 

I don't have welding tools, shoot, I don't even own a grinder (yet),. But I was thinking of purchasing these tools little by little via Craigslist and flea markets etc.  I know a welder that can weld 1/4" steel would run me for 300 + easy. ( for small projects ). 

So here lies my problem. Spend the money, time and effort buying tools, materials etc, learn how to build a Reverse Flow Smoker etc, or go out and buy one. 

I know there is allot more pride in making something from start to finish and seeing the completed product. But is going to be done right?  Below is a 50 gallon water tank I purchased to make a smoker. That's all I have now. That and a dream. 

Look at the price of these smokers, minimum $1,000.00, $1,700, $2,500.00 ... Sorry, but if you are just cooking in your back yard for friends and family, don't know if I can justify spending 1K on a smoker. Just can't do it.   

I understand the ROI ( or Return on Investment ) on these tools and experience cost allot. Hand welding and time is the major cost of building a well built smoker, but it's cost prohibative for most folks, Sorry, I won't go that route. 

I am thinking of renting tools or maybe even buying a welder, using for my project and selling it shortly there after I build my smoker, to get my  money back. 

Anyway, enough of my rants. 

Happy Smoking.

My 50 gallon water tank, soon to be a smoker, How soon, not sure. 

My Maveric Smoker.

CitiSlicker. 

Last edited:
Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions
Post it and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is
because their are so many different ways to make great Q...
Happy smoken.
David

texas.gif
  Good afternoon and welcome to the forum, from a cloudy and chilly day here in East Texas. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

Thank you David & Gary for your response and making me feel welcome. 

I will continue to read, I will try to do exhuastive searches before asking questions jump in. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky