1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Church Fundraiser

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by andmarnclt, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Im doing BBQ for my Church the next 2 weekends and were planning on selling plates and sandwiches. What size portion should I use? I saw somewhere online 5.33oz. That works out to a little over half a cup. Any thoughts? Should I use the same amount for plates and sandwiches? I want to make as much for the Church as I can but I dont want to underserve either. Let me know!!  

2. scarbelly

scarbelly Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member

I have not catered in a while but have done a couple of charity dinners - the 5 to 5.5 oz plate is pretty close and we used to do 4oz sandwiches -

These are the portions that I have seen here several times in responses and I think the ones most folks are using right now

Remember when you are figuring the raw weight that you are gonna loose up to 40% on pork for sure

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  3. Thanks for your help. Im going to load my smoker up with as much as it will hold, 16-18 butts and when its all sold, its sold. Hopefully we'll make them some money.

4. bob1961

bob1961 Smoking Fanatic

so a 9/10 lb hunk of pork for PP going in the smoker will yield bout 6 lbs of cooked meat with 4oz sammies will be bout 24 sammies.........bob

5. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Legendary Pitmaster OTBS Member

Andmareclt,shoot for 4oz. servings,that is enough to make a nice sandwitch and not be stingy[​IMG]

Add slaw to the sandwitch and it will be enormous[​IMG]

6. I've done many bbq fundraisers for church and missions, and always use the 1/3 pound (4 oz) for sandwiches and 1/2 pound (8 oz) for plates.  This gives a gracious plenty meat for each meal.  Usually serve Cole slaw and baked beans on the plate (with a dinner roll), or just Coleslaw on the sandwich with chips and a drink.  $7.00 for the plate or $5.00 for the sandwich combo.

The largest fundraiser saw us roasting 101 shoulders to go along with Brunswick Stew.  Brought in LOTS of funds!

7. tom37

tom37 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

This isn't directly related but ribs have worked very well for fundraisers for us in the past. The first one we did gave the dance class over 1500.00 bucks for there trip. We presold slabs for 15 bucks each, paid in advance. The second one we did the slabs went for 20 bucks each but we did no trimming, left them full size as they came out of the box. Everyone one loved it that way.

We found foil bags that said ribs to go and had heating instructions on the back of he bag. If I remember correctly we had a case or two extra for the folks that wanted extra for someone they forgot about. It would be an easy go if you can find a few other church member that have smokers, and then a few helpers.

Good luck on the dinner. Best wishes that you all make even more then expected.