Chuckie Enchiladas and smoked tomato salsa - w/q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chisoxjim

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 25, 2007
Trying my first chuckie today, picked up a 3# choice angus chuck roast for about $10. I rubbed it down with a chipotle wet rub

wet rub:
1 can of chipotles in adobo
1/2 cup ketchup, 1/4 onion
4 cloves garlic
1tbsp cinnamon
1tsp salt
2tsp black pepper
1tsp thyme
1sp rosemary

blended in the food processor and rubbed it in

I am also doing sone salsa today, chooped off the top of a head of garlic, sliced some tomatoes in hlag, quartered a white onion, halved and deseeded some jalapenos & habaneros. Smoking these before running through the food processor (I will add cialntro, and lime juce then)

I also have some Johnsonville brats on for lunch.

more pics to follow.

Chisox, that is one pretty chuck roast and you have the salsa thing going! Good for you and your fellow feasters
icon_mrgreen.gif

Keep up the Que- and Salsa-view!

thanks rivet, salsa is done, really nice, pics coming soon.

brats were a good snack too.

I think its just me my wife and our daughter as usual.

Johnsonville brats were what they were, decent for storebought. got a decent smoke ring for 90 minutes on. Enjoyed one with kraut, and raw onion.

salsa is really good, smoked the tray of veg for about 2 hours, tossed the tomatoes & garlic in the food processor, and got them done, then tossed in the onion, all the jalapeno, and only one habanero. Then added the juice of 1 lime, and a handfull of cilantro. seasoned to taste w/ black pepper. Tasted good, and the flavors will only get better after it goes in the fridge.

chuckie has about 2 more hours before I take its first temp reading, planning on pulling @ 185ish, and foiling.

Salsa looks really good - mouth is waterin for some- let us know how that chipotle wet rub comes out on the chuckie - sounds really good - might eliminate the ketchup and use tomato sauce - not a ketchup guy
Got a chuckie sitting in the freezer now

I just applied another coat of the chipotle wet rub. Chuckie is approx @ 120 degrees after 3 hours.(had to take a quick temp check

tomato sauce, that is a good twist. I only had ketchup, and I was looking for a sugar element to help with a crust, and for some sweet to offset the heat.

Beautiful salsa, Chisox! Excellent! This brats looked pretty good to, I like Johnsonville brand. Looking forward to that awesome hunk o' Angus
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

That is excellent Jim.Reminds me once i am done with smoking chipotles for my rubs i will be making a few quarts in adobo.Ketchup as well...

Look forward to the finale

kind of in the stall temp wise right now, I foiled the chuckie @ 155, and its back on the smoker, fonna take a reading @ 6:00, and hopefully I can warp with a towel, and throw it in a cooler for about an hour at that point.

I am looking forward to the enchiladas, after wrapping & putting them in a baking dish, them I may melt the cheese on the smoker, or fire up the broiler for that task. I am going to do mine as an enchilada montada, with a fried egg on top I believe.

Salsa looks great, I would eat that by itself by the spoonful waiting for the beef to finish.
Can't wait to see the finished product.

snacked on the salsa most of the afternoon, foiled the chuckie @ 195, and out it wrapped in a towel in a cooler for 45 minutes. pulled really easily, I was nervous since this was a first, but was happy with the flavor, etc.

out of the foil & pulled:

pulled beef mixed with a little enchilada sauce, and cheese:

enchilada construction:

after a few minutes under the broiler:

topped w/ sour cream & green onions:

my plate topped with 2 sunnyside up eggs.. awesome, a great dinner imho.:

a couple fo dinner guests, a shot off my deck to the right:

thanks for looking.

the deer or the enchiladas...?
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

thanks.

Those enchiladias look great specially with that chuckie that on it's own was fabulous looking and I could just tell it was great eats
points.gif
for sure on it all except for the shot over their bow. Those were some nice house guest to bad they weren't dinner

thanks,

I see those deer all the time, never any bucs though, but I imagine the bucs are in the woods, I also get wild turkeys every year.

Hey ChiSox,

Man, you have had some awesome posts this weekend...started off with the ribs and shrimp abt's and now a smoked chuckie enchilada and salsa...WOW! How hot was the chipotle / adobo rub...I love that stuff for a lot of things, and I always have a container in the fridge that is blended up and ready to go. Me likey the heat! Awesome looking salsa too!

You are getting points from me for an excellent weekend of smoky goodness!
points.gif

thanks, this weekend was a lot of fun, and good eat, tune up for next weekend..

the chipolye wasnt bad, the ketchup, and cinnamon I added really made it nice and alot of levels of flavor. I figured the salsa with the jalapenos, and habaneros wold be the heat I wanted, that and some El Yucateco green habanero sauce I had as well.
icon_smile.gif

Right on ...

I love Enchiladas....!

I also like the use of the Chipotle chili... it is really under apreciated in the USA.. I added it to the Brisket I did this weekend and the recipents loved the gentle heat! I my self prefer haberneros... but thats not subtile or for every one.. and it can over powere easily...

Good work on the Enchiladas..

I have some pulled pork in the freezer that I'm goign to make into enchaaldas.. becasuse I can just have to wait till the missus get a day/night off work as I do..

CHEERS!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky