Chuckie Burnt Ends w/ Spatchy & Brief Review of John Henry's Texas Brisket Rub

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigtrain74

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 23, 2009
Springfield, Ma
I had a hankering for some burnt ends but I did not want to waste a whole packer since the family is not too keen on smoked beef. I picked up some of this John Henry's Texas Brisket Rub and couldn't wait to give it a shot. My chuck roast was just a hair under 3 lbs and when you see the size of the pieces of the burnt ends, I believe that it is a perfect size for what were trying to accomplish here.

Once we got the chuck roast on the cooker at 225, it was time to get the spatchy happy.

I always tend to marinade the chickens whole so I run less of a risk of a bone piercing through the side of the bag. It just makes for an easier clean up.

4 Hours into the cook I decided it was time to throw the chickens on. 

My little dude waiting patiently for his supper with a little pool action!

At 8 hours, I finally reached an internal of 192 on the roast. 

Sliced once and chopped into cubes.

Spatchy all done.

Like a dummy, I missed the pic where I added more rub with the BBQ sauce. But here is the plated finale of the burnt end sammich.

Let's not forget about trying the brisket rub with the chicken. 
icon_biggrin.gif

OK, now time for a quick review of the rub. I was a huge fan of these burnt ends. I thought they had a bite along with the sweetness delivered by the sauce. I could see how someone could say that the rub was a bit on the salty side. BUT as soon as you taste the salt, the meat and other flavors of the rub come rushing in eliminating that salt taste. Including the piece with the chicken. Salt at first and them BAM, you are hit with all the other wonderful flavors that are in the meat and the rub. I would, most definitely, use this rub again on beef and lightly on poultry. Not sure if I would use it on pork as I am particular to sweet rubs on them.

~Tony

Reactions: jcollins
How did the burnt ends turn out compared to brisket?
Personally, I thought they were just as flavorful. The texture was not 100% the same but still moist with very little effot to eat. Gave me that melt in your mouth taste.

That's nice , bigTrain . Bet the helpher njoyed it along with you.:drool The Chucky lookd marvellous and the Chiken was tasty looking as well .

That pool looks inviting as well :cool:

Have fun and . . .

Last edited:
That's nice , bigTrain . Bet the helpher njoyed it along with you.
drool.gif
The Chucky lookd marvellous and the Chiken was tasty looking as well .

That pool looks inviting as well
cool.gif

Have fun and . . .
You are always welcome to our oasis... Grills are always hot and the beer is always cold!

How did the burnt ends turn out compared to brisket?
Personally, I thought they were just as flavorful. The texture was not 100% the same but still moist with very little effot to eat. Gave me that melt in your mouth taste.

I tried a chunky once but didn't let them go long enough as it was time to eat. Thx for confirming my suspicion.

I tried a chunky once but didn't let them go long enough as it was time to eat. Thx for confirming my suspicion.
No worries. I have come to the realization that dinner does not have a time anymore. Its ready when its ready!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky