Chuckeeeee time in Tennessee

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pignit

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Man I love these things. Everytime I cook something it's my new favorite until I cook something else. I caught these on sale for 1.98 a pound. That translates into about 9 bucks apiece. Usually I cook these to 170 and pan them with some beef broth and veggies and cook them on up to the taters are soft. Thought I'd take these to the pullin stage.

4229_1098878905965_1046423994_30249275_1052766_n.jpg

I rubbed them down good with Reds Pork Rub and put them back in the fridge for a few hours. Had to finish the ribs before these go in the smoker. Racked them up and ready to go.

4229_1098878945966_1046423994_30249276_919154_n.jpg

Smoked these guys to 198.... all night long. Love this MES. It is great to be able to set it and go to bed. I applied smoke to it for the first 3 hours. Turned out really nice. Just a hint of Hickory. What a pile of sandwiches for $18.00. They absolutley fell apart. Very little fat that didn't just turn into jelly.

4229_1098879025968_1046423994_30249278_7674766_n.jpg

I love this beef cooked like a pulled pork.
Thanks for checkin out my qview.

I'm fighting a Chucky today. Doing it on a new Smokenator on my Weber. Been having problems on and off all day. I'm sure it's my inexperience with it though. I'm about ready to call it a day and throw Chuck in the oven right now.

Nothin wrong with that. If you got her smoked down and having problems with smoker temps, I wouldn't hesitate to take it off and wrap it in foil with some of it's own juice... or a little apple juice and take it on up to 200 or even 205 in the oven. I'd set the oven at 250 and let it ride. I pulled mine at 198 or so because the therm I used to double check it went into the meat like butter. I felt like it was done enough and it was. Tender and falling apart. It was just like a butt when I cook them to jelly. Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.

Chucks are just plain tasty beef. Good lookin Chuck there Pig.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Now that is a fine looking chuckie you ended up cooking.
Only tried it once and it was ok but seeing how good yours looks makes me want to try it again.

You know, I'm not thick as a brick, but I AM stubborn as a mule. What I found out (the hard way) was that ash had built up under the smokenator and needed to be swept away using the cleaning vanes. It was blocking airflow to the coals. He mentioned that in the manual, and I read it. I had decided to add lit charcoal to finish, then I saw all the ash. Just like he said.
PDT_Armataz_01_19.gif
Didn't even need the charcoal. I always have to learn everything the hard way. I got her foiled up and the cooker is about back to where it needs to be. Going to finish off a little warm, since it's foiled now.

My oh My, you've got it going on with that cut! Congrats on a great smoke and thanks for the Q View too.

So many times what seems to be a problem has a simple solution. I just bought an Oklahoma Joe and can't wait to do an all day with charcoal. I built a basket so that I could get plenty of air flow and plenty of space for the ash. I went from an electric ECB to a Natural Gas to an MES to an Oklahoma Joe stick burner. Funny thing is there is something about everyone of them that I like. They all cook a little different and I enjoy using all of them. Cooking with wood or charcoal has by far the largest learning curve. Let us know how the chuck turns out.

I thought I had an early start on it. Right now everyone is giving me that "is your Q ever gonna be done???" look. It's been foiled for awile, and is just about at 190. Maybe I'll give everyone here a break and slice it. I wanted to go out to 205* for pulling. I intend to do a Q-view later.

It's gonna be some fine eatin at 190. I'd cut that baby in half, slice up one half and let let the other half be cookin on up while your smokers hot and the natives are eatin. It's gonna be sooooo good. I've eaten some fine Chucks taken off at 190.
( This advice given on the assumption that the natives are restless and are gonna eat somethin...... whether its done to your specifications or not. )

I picked these out because of the marbling. The fat that was in these things turn to gelatin. I pulled very little actual fat off of them when I was pulling them. I'll have to take a picture of a sandwich made with some of this stuff. I'm going to bag it and vacuum it and have it for another day. What I don't eat of it that is.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky