Chuck vs. Arm Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrad

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 27, 2012
Princeton, MN
In the past when I have smoked chuck for pulling, I have always bought the regular chuck roasts. The store I buy them at also advertises Chuck "arm roasts" that are usually $1 lb cheaper and look much leaner. I have avoided them thinking they may be too lean.

Has anyone smoked both and if so, did you prefer one over the other?

Reactions: kruizer
The arm roast is part of a chuck roast, you most likely have been buying a chuck eye roast which are just a little more expensive. I prefer the eye, but both will work for pulled beef, and both benefit from a wrapped or braised finish. For the best value, ask you market (and Sam's club has them in the back) about a chuck roll. These are boneless and about 20#.
shktY.jpg

You can slice them yourself, and size the roast the way you like, even stripping out the eye muscle. The remainder can be ground and makes great burger.
DXo8J.jpg

Reactions: tallbm and kruizer
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky