Chuck stew

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin kat

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 5, 2016
Dallas, Oregon
Found some choice 7 Bone chuck roast on sale for $2.49 a pound, so picked up a couple of these huge packs and thought I'd make some good hearty beef stew.  

My ingredients: 

Chuck roast (4 1/2 lbs)  

1 large onion  

5 medium turnips  (we're eating low carb, and these are much lower than potatoes!) 

A few baby carrots I needed to use up  :)

2 cans tomato paste 

4 + cups beef broth 

Started by dicing up the onion and turnips.  I didn't bother peeling the turnips, but they didn't seem to add any funky taste to the stew.

Sliced/cubed up the steaks and browned the meat and the bones in a cast iron.  In the past I've smoked the meat for about an hour to get some extra flavor, but didn't do it this time.

While I was browning the meat, I turned my grill to 375° and threw the onions and turnips in a dutch oven with a pat of butter to let them soften up a bit and get a bit of smoke.  

Once the meat was all browned, and onions had started to caramelize a bit, I poured the beef stock into the pot and deglazed the pan, then stirred in the cans of tomato paste.  (It was way too dark outside at the grill, so I brought it in to take photos.)  :)   Then I mixed in all the beef and bones, with all their juices.  

I left it on the grill (uncovered) for a couple of hours, stirring once in awhile, and added a bit more beef broth to thin it down just a bit.  

Not the prettiest picture, but it was so hearty and delicious!   Nice change of pace from the other low-carb stuff we're eating!   I would usually garnish it with some chopped parsley, but forgot to get some at the store when I bought the beef!  Really nice warming Fall stew.  

Looks tasty! We do 7 bone roasts all the time. Just picked up a few too and put them in the freezer for some Cream Can cooks.

What a great dish. I love stew and yours looks marvellous!

Point for one of my favourites.

Disco

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky