chuck roast how - to ????

Discussion in 'Beef' started by krusher, Jun 23, 2008.

1. krusher

krusher Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

hello, ive got about 8 pounds of chuck roast, and I was thinking I would smoke it, the fat content seems like I should treat them like a butt.

do you think jeffs rub would be good on these?

or do you have any good rub recipes for beef.

I figured I would take it to 200 and pull it, does this sound good?

2. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

A search for the work "chuck" in the title had like 30 hits..some only days old... Just a tip!

3. packplantpath

packplantpath Smoking Fanatic

You can definitely treat it like a butt and pull it. Some around here say they can be a bit moody about pulling, but I've always run mine right up to 200* and they pull pretty easy. I also foil them around 165ish. As to rub, I think Jeff's Rub would be good on there, or any other rub you want should be ok.

EDIT: Scratch that, I started taking chucks to 210 to 215* in foil and they fell apart.

4. teeotee

teeotee Smoking Fanatic

I 2nd pack on the chuck. I've done a couple of chucks just like a pork but and they have turned out just fine. Pulled real easy and tasted good.

5. supervman

supervman Smoking Fanatic

Dopey Question Tee
    Is 2nd pack just a double wrap on the foil?

6. seboke

seboke Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Ya got that smoker fired up yet Krusher???

7. seboke

seboke Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

errrr.. I believe teeoteewas giving a "yeah, what he said" regarding packplantpath's ("pack" for short) method. I could be wrong...

8. meowey

meowey Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yes, treat it like a butt. Good eats!

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

9. cheesehead

cheesehead Fire Starter

During your search if you find the post where they inject italian dressing in em overnight then smoke.......knock your socks off goooood sammies.

Jeff

10. capt dan

capt dan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Chucks are awesome. I treat em like pork butts, I use a different rub and injection, but the heat and timeline/temps are almost the same. It really helps if ya can rest em for an hour, two is better(leave em in the foil and in a cooler)[​IMG]

11. meowey

meowey Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member