Christened the new MES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

squirrel

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 7, 2010
augusta ga
WooHoo! All I can say is Masterbuilt betta watch out! I am all over my new MES, even though I didn't get the one I thought I ordered, even though the nice lady at Cabela's told me it came with the remote and wheels, even though it really didn't, and even though another nice lady at Cabela's said they didn't even carry that one, and yet another nice lady gave me $50 bucks back because they marked down the price like a couple of days after I ordered it.

Whew. I do have a smoke leaking problem and will send a PM to the Masterbuilt tech guy, maybe he can tell me how to fix it. Regardless of all this, I still am loving this thing. I love the way the smoke smells and that I can have it right on my back porch and it does seem to be very forgiving towards blonde squirrels.
icon_mrgreen.gif
 Okay, I confess, it took me a little bit to realize that you actually have to set the timer before the heat will come on, I was just setting the temp. I need a t-shirt that says "beyond blonde". Whateva, I surely was a man in a previous life because actually reading instructions is obviously beneath me. Double
icon_mrgreen.gif

So here we go. How could I not "christen" my new baby in style? Really? Hey man, go big or go home. Triple
icon_mrgreen.gif
. There should in fact be some sorta majestical music in the background at this point, yep, I bought a 9+ pounder of a real deal PRIME ribbage. I will not tell you how much I paid for it because I could have fed a small nation. Okay now I'm a selfish, indulgent, greedy squirrel. Not really greedy because I kept one small piece for me and gave the rest to, umm, to some guys that do stuff, umm, to things that are really hot and charcoallyish, and might cause things to burn down. OKAY I ADMIT IT

I LOVE FIREMEN and all their hot steaminess. Cuatro
icon_mrgreen.gif
2c92aec2_IMG_7952.jpg

I should have gotten a better picture, because you can't see the rack
icon_eek.gif
 but it is there. It's an "A" cup obviously. I rubbed it down with some of this, I really like this stuff. You guys that are making rubbage, why don't you try doing something like this. PLEASE!

e575f11b_IMG_7954.jpg

Hello my love, shall we dance? No? Well, may I lick your fat cap?

d55770ab_IMG_7961.jpg

cb559e10_IMG_7945.jpg

So, to go with my special "I love my new MES, and it loves me back" themed day, I made something very special, YORKSHIRE PUDDING!!! No, no applause, thank you, yes, I know, that is sooooo British of me. But I'm not British. I'm Irish, German and Native American. That would explain alot. It hurts my head to even think about it sometimes. They are soooo good and simple to make and remind me of my "cat" head biscuits.

db7814b9_IMG_7983.jpg

2a7425ff_IMG_7943.jpg

I also roasted some asparagus and "shrooms:

97f889fe_IMG_7965.jpg

I also put a couple of heads of garlic in the MES to use in my garlic mashed 'taters, I didn't do photos of the taters because I have sooo done that and am bored with it. I also made this for dessert - apple caramel cake. It was okay. I added some cherries and that made me very happy. Really happy, like touch myself happy.

dec7f7ad_IMG_7966.jpg

5ce822f6_IMG_7991.jpg

Okay then, here's the grand finale, drumroll please, or atleast everybody pass gas in such a syncronized way that the universe bows to us all

ee9ad571_IMG_7989.jpg

Thanks for sharing my special moment. A moment of pure love and bliss. My new MES may not be perfect, but by gawd it is still awesome!!!!

Reactions: mballi3011
It all looks good from here!!!

The new model MES is not available at cabelas even though the one up the road will tell you that they have the most up to date models that mes offers (LIARS)

Last edited:
Where do I start. You are one loose cannon for sure
biggrin.gif
 and I mean that in the nicest way. Love the PR and the veggie combo too  The Spice House has some incredible rubs. We got a box of 20 as a gift and love them big time. I love Yorkshire pudding and those look great. I could eat a big batch of those by themselves. Did you capture any of the fat from the smoker to cook them in? 

Another ALL STAR post Cheryl thanks for sharing. 

Maybe Paul will share some of his recent sausage with ya - just sayin

icon_cool.gif

Well Cheryl you have always kept us on pins and needles. You and your escapades and how you come up with all theses scenarios. Now I could only wish that I knew you alittle more cause you just aren't right.Is there a mental hospital near your house or are you in a metal hospital now??? Something has to be up for you are just something else and all this wonderful food that you are always creating.

Mark, I'm just a suuuuuppa freak. LOL! Yes, I did use the yummy drippings for my Yorkshire pudding. It was sooo perfect and soo easy to make too. Oh I have seen Paul's sausage and we will be having a prayer meeting VERY  soon. I got your loose cannon for ya!

248ae0ef_squirrelcomando.jpg

Last edited:
So glad you blamed Mark instead of me
icon_redface.gif

Prayer meeting huh - Dear lord forgive me for the A$$ kicking I am about to render to BBQ. He killed, er assinated, er took the lives of some of my brothers and sisters and turned them into a delacy and for that he must pay just so he doesnt try it with me
44d4df34_noidea1.gif
eat.gif

Last edited:
Looks awesome way to break in that MES right
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

My MES leaked around the door when I first got it but no longer does.  The tech said it was normal.  Fri. I smoked brisket, pork butt, turkey legs & hamhocks with out the leak.  Your PR is perfect!!!!!!  What temp and how long did you smoke it to keep that rare?  Have always done them in the oven @500 degs for 1 hr, then turned it off to let let it sit for hours.  I have one in the freezer waiting for you answer.  ummmmmmmmmmmmm Yorkshire pudding.

YAAAYY SQUIRREL!!!!! Congrats on your new relationship!!  I love my CSE,  It lives on the backporch! I just face the therometers toward the window-instant remote therm!  I always stick a couple heads of garlic in with whatever - don't rub them with oil or anything, just stick em in there.  I don't worry about getting them to the mushy stage or anything, just going for flavor for slicing, smashing and using like "fresh" garlic.  You will be seriously unstoppable now!

Unfortunately my leak is not around the door so much as it is around the glass window, like there may not be a good enough seal. Here's some pictures. I cooked it at 275F until it reached 120F. Not sure how long, but pretty sure it was around 3 hoursish. When I do mine in the oven I cook at 450F for 20 minutes then 350F til it's done. I do like the smokey flavor on it now. Here's the recipe I use for the Yorkshire pudding. It is absolutely delicious.

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/yorkshire-pudding

Here's pics of my leakage: It's at the top right of the door and around the glass:

d5b68ac1_IMG_7955.jpg

db96d1d2_IMG_7958.jpg

My MES leaked around the door when I first got it but no longer does.  The tech said it was normal.  Fri. I smoked brisket, pork butt, turkey legs & hamhocks with out the leak.  Your PR is perfect!!!!!!  What temp and how long did you smoke it to keep that rare?  Have always done them in the oven @500 degs for 1 hr, then turned it off to let let it sit for hours.  I have one in the freezer waiting for you answer.  ummmmmmmmmmmmm Yorkshire pudding.

Last edited:
Dang Girl!

Leaking smoke at the door seal can be fixed by adjusting the door.

Make sure you "Wrap" the water pan and drip pan with foil.  You'll appreciate the easier cleanup!!

Todd

Awesome!

I don't have time to enjoy this post right now.

I have to leave. I am only replying to put my mark on it, so it will be easy to find later.

I can't wait to really look at it & read the usual great squirrel comments.

My comments will come later.

I did take a quick peak at the money shot---That's where I got the "Awesome" above!

Until then,

Bear

Yea Todd, I figured the door leak would be easy enough, but any ideas on the leaking around the glass?

Oh now you tell me to wrap. I just spend an hour scrubbing my water pan. Drip pan didn't get too much on it. It's too darn cold to go out there right now anyway. I guess I can see now where the wheels on that thing would come in handy for me. Heck I would just roll it into my mud room and give it a good cleaning. Dang it. It sucks being blonde sometimes.
icon_mrgreen.gif

Maybe a squirrel gnawed on the silicone seal?

Did I hear someone say Blonde Squirrel?

61e725eb_blondesquirrel1.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky