Choice Brisket - Dry

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sorry, yes, I figured you were being a bit sarcastic.

Hell, I grew up in Fort Worth. My inspiration for great barbecue has always been Angelo's.

🍻
Angelo's is good, but it's just not as good as it used to be. Today in Ft. Worth, my "go to" place for BBQ, assuming I don't have time to do it myself, is Heim's. He's now up to 3 or 4 locations in the area, and I'm afraid if he keeps expanding quickly, he might mess something up. But, for now, it's good stuff, in case you get back over this way.

Angelo's is good, but it's just not as good as it used to be. Today in Ft. Worth, my "go to" place for BBQ, assuming I don't have time to do it myself, is Heim's. He's now up to 3 or 4 locations in the area, and I'm afraid if he keeps expanding quickly, he might mess something up. But, for now, it's good stuff, in case you get back over this way.
I have heard that is good as well as Goldee's. I still think Angelo's is great, but I respect your opinion on that. Tim will give you a tour of the smokers etc. Pretty cool.

Reactions: PulledPorkSandwich
I found a good deal on briskets at Kroger ($1.99/lb), so I bought several. However, they are "Choice". I tried to pick the best ones I could find hoping they would be close to "Prime."

I've cooked a couple of them and both have turned out a little dry...

The first one I cooked to approx. 165 and then wrapped in butcher paper. Pulled it at 203 and let it rest - wrapped in towels in cooler - for approx. 4 hours.

The second one I cooked to approx. 168 and then wrapped in aluminum foil. I added 16oz of beef broth inside the aluminum foil. Pulled it at 203 and let it rest on the counter (still wrapped) until it cooled to around 170 and then put it in the oven at 170. Total rest time was approx. 6 hours.

Both were cooked at 225 on a Z Grills pellet smoker using B&B post oak pellets. I've been using Salt & Pepper for rub. First one I rubbed pretty heavy, and second one lighter.

Any tips on how to keep it from being so dry?

Thanks!

Hi there and welcome!

As suggested by others briskets are never done by time or temp only when they probe tender by stabbing all over with something like a kabob skewer and there is no resistance.

I make brisket all the time living in TX since we get such good brisket prices every 2-3 weeks.
I cook Choice briskets all the time and did 2 last Wed.

Put the temp probe into the thickest yet centermost part of the FLAT muscle. The Point will full you and 99% of the gets tender way before the FLAT.

I run my briskets naked the whole time in my MES40.
When Choice briskets hit 200F Internal Temp (IT) I check for tenderness by stabbing all over with a wooden kabob skewer. If it's not tender ALL OVER then i let the temp rise another 1-2 degrees and test for tenderness again. When tender it is ready and done!

If you switch to checking for tenderness vs pulling at temp you will solve your dryness problems, guaranteed.

I hope this info helps! :)

Have you verified your grate temps with a calibrated therm or are you using the built in therm as a guide? I wrap after it has been in the stall for a while (usually an hour or so), ergo the need for a reporting therm so you can monitor the IT progress. Every brisket can have a different stall temp range, same issue for the temp range to become tender. I've had them get tender anywhere from 196-210º. Once pulled when tender let it rest open on the counter until the IT starts to drop indicating the cooking has stopped, but collagen continues to breakdown above approx 180º so I look for a 5º drop, then wrap tight and into the cooler with towels for a couple of hours.
I've been using the built-in thermometer, but I have another one I can use. Thanks!

Hi there and welcome!

As suggested by others briskets are never done by time or temp only when they probe tender by stabbing all over with something like a kabob skewer and there is no resistance.

I make brisket all the time living in TX since we get such good brisket prices every 2-3 weeks.
I cook Choice briskets all the time and did 2 last Wed.

Put the temp probe into the thickest yet centermost part of the FLAT muscle. The Point will full you and 99% of the gets tender way before the FLAT.

I run my briskets naked the whole time in my MES40.
When Choice briskets hit 200F Internal Temp (IT) I check for tenderness by stabbing all over with a wooden kabob skewer. If it's not tender ALL OVER then i let the temp rise another 1-2 degrees and test for tenderness again. When tender it is ready and done!

If you switch to checking for tenderness vs pulling at temp you will solve your dryness problems, guaranteed.

I hope this info helps! :)
That's awesome! Thanks!

Built-in therms are notorious for not being accurate. Get a good calibrated therm and attach a grate probe to it so you can find out exactly what your grate temp is vs what your smoker is set to or what the built-in indicates. Ex) I use one from Thermoworks

Reactions: tallbm
I've been using the built-in thermometer, but I have another one I can use. Thanks!

Built in Thermometers are never any good, it's sad.

Someone recommended this inexpensive one that is often out of stock andI bought 2 when I noticed them in stock... $9.99 a piece!!!! When they come back in stock I'm going to buy more as Christmas gifts lol.
So far I'm impressed it's well worth 2x as much, well worth.

Probes were only 2F degrees low when doing my boil test on them, they should read 212F and read 210F which is no issue.

Use 1 probe to measure temp of smoker at rack level. The other in the meat placed in the proper spot. The remote feature works fine in my house, I never tested range but is good for at least 35 yards so far.

The inkbird IRF-4s is one that I like a lot with 4 probes but 4x the price :)

I hope this info helps!

Last edited:
Dry is underdone, regardless of the grade. The VAST majority of briskets I've smoked are Select grade or Choice, and they come out juicy and tender. Briskets get their tenderness and juiciness from melted collagen, which tastes dry and tough if not melted. Probing the flat for tenderness instead of smoking to temp will give you better results.

A long rest is also key. I rest mine wrapped in a 170F oven for 3-5 hours. Lots of folks will tell you it will overcook the brisket. Nope. So tender, juicy, and melt in your mouth it will almost make you shed tears of happiness.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky