chix w/no waterpan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lu1847

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 19, 2010
winona mn
Iv'e got some chicken quarters in the smoker right now but this time im not using my water pan, i want to see what kind of difference it makes on the skin. I brined them overnight so they shouldnt dry out(i hope). Ill take a few pics and report back on how it turned out.

Aside from cold smoking cheese, I always use a water pan to stabilize temps. I'm interested in knowing your results, good luck my friend and do follow-up with some comments/pics.

Well the chicken turned out fine, no big diffirence without the water pan. skin wasn't quite as rubbery as when using water, the taste was the same but i did not get a smoke ring at all normally my chicken is pink under the skin (almost looks like its not cooked well)

smoking chicken does make it look pink inside. It is always like that for me.
What I hjave found is this.. with the water bowl in the normal position it is often difficult to keep temps above 220-230, so I drilled a few more holes about three inches above the normal position, now in that position I can get temps in the 230-260 or so very easily. And of course only use lump char and wood.

I always use the water pan, it is there to stabilize temps, it does nothing or little at all to the food. Some use playground sand also

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky