Chipotle Pulled Pork w/ Chipotle Finishing Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fire it up

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 24, 2009
South Jersey
After having great success with my chipotle rub on a brisket I had to know how well it went on a butt.
Started off with a regular 'ol picnic butt, .79lb, great deal.
Trimmed off all but a little fat for basting and slathered it up with some mustard.

Forgot to get a shot of the rub before applied

Went on the smoker at about 275 to start and once some poultry I had on left the party I let it ride at 225. Apple and cherry wood for smoke and spritzed every hour after the first hour with cranberry/orange juice because that's what was being used on the bird.

As always took to 160, wrapped in foil and brought up to 205, let rest a few hours and pulled.

Not a great finished pic, especially since I was using some average whatever coleslaw from the supermarket.

Now, the finishing sauce. I used SoFlaQuers's recipe but halved the Tony Chachere's seasoning and ground up a small chipotle and added that to the sauce.

People told me this was the best pulled pork I have done yet, and I have made quite a few.
The heat wasn't overwhelming but I love spicy.
My brother doused his sammie with lots of finishing sauce and the heat made him cough a few times but he loved it. The only thing I would change would be in the rub, next time I will omit the cayenne and see how well everything plays together. Well that and make my own batch of coleslaw.
Thanks for looking everyone. I know it's just andother pulled pork thread but hopefully this will inspire some to give it a try with a bit of heat. You won't be disappointed.
Happy Smokes.

Last edited:
Dang FiU. I just ate a leftover chopped pork sammie and now I'm hungry again. Glad you're loving the chipotle. Great looking ring. Good job outta you.

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Sounds and looks great! I'll have to give it a try next. I've got 2 butts sitting in the fridge waiting for me to get to them. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us.

fire it up, you dont have to worry about the insperation. I actually have the same cut of meat (about 2.5 lbs) that i have a chipotle/cinnamon rub for & a chipotle finishing sauce. I have never done a butt before & have been nervous about the taste for days. You just put all that to rest & have inspired me to hurry & get'er done. I'm so hungry now
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Sound really great there fire. I like that finishing sauce and with a rub too. Killer.

That looks great FIU. I thing I am going to try it this weekend.

Great PPB FiU! That's a great idea with the chipotles in the rub and finishing sauce~got to try that myself. No worries on the store-bought-whatever coleslaw...it's still pretty good! Made a real nice looking sandwich
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Congrats on a great smoke. I like your rub contents, and I also like the bark it produced. Thanks for sharing the Q View my friend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky