Chipotle Jerky with Qview!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dustincantrell

Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
I love making chipotle jerky (though my recipe changes each time) and I just loaded up my smoker with a portion of another batch.  I bought a 22.5lb whole inside round, and trimmed it up and separated each individual cut in an attempt to trim out as much fat as possible and sliced it up about 3/16" thick.  Took forever!  I whipped up a marinade and all the meat wouldn't fit in a 2.5 gallon food storage container so I put the remainder in a 1 gallon ziploc bag.  I have always rigged up three grates in my 22.5" WSM and could fit a single 1 gallon ziploc bag of meat on there with them laying on the grates.  This is my first time hanging jerky to smoke and I was able to fit almost twice as much in there!  I'm smoking with lump charcoal and a bit of hickory.

Here's the marinade I used:

7T onion powder

5T garlic powder

7T cayenne

4T black pepper

5 cans chipotles (pureed with some of the soy sauce)

5 cups soy sauce

3 cups worcestershire sauce

2 cups pineapple juice

2T pink salt

This picture is after I had loaded the gallon ziploc bag in my smoker and removed enough from the 2.5 gallon container to finish filling my smoker.

43f36678_img0760z.jpg

This is a picture of one of the large pieces I was able to slice.

5a978260_img0758z.jpg

I patted all the pieces dry with paper towels before I inserted toothpicks and hung them.

c2f5601f_img0755o.jpg

This is my smoker filled up.  Sorry for the poor quality pictures but I'm doing this at night and just used my phone as I didn't want to drag out my digital camera.

07f12dac_img0759z.jpg

Glad I got an itch to try jerky again! (first attempt failed miseraly)

This looks great. How long and at what temp did you smoke?

And is there any left???

are you using pink salt in place of Tender Quick?  What temp did you smoke it at and how long are you expecting to be done?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky