Chili Recipes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Since it that time of year thought be be fun to share chili recipes or maybe have a Feb Chili Throw Down. It finally cold here in north Texas not that I complaining about all the spring weather we had. I been mostly using Jake's recipe which is a winner. I know chili recipes can be a secret but share if you can.

Since it that time of year thought be be fun to share chili recipes or maybe have a Feb Chili Throw Down.

A Throw Down would be great but chances are the best tasting chili wouldn't win. The best looking one would.

Well anyway, here is one I have won several local competitions with courtesy of Rachel Ray. Really great tasting chili.

Indian Summer Chili
Courtesy of Rachel Ray​

3 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 ½ Lbs. Ground Turkey
4 T Chili Powder
2 T Grill Seasoning (McCormick Montreal Steak or Chicken)
1 T Cumin
2 T Worcestershire Sauce
2T Hot Sauce
1 Large Onion Quartered
2 Large Bell Peppers (Any Color Combination)
1C Bottled Beer
1 14oz Can of Tomato Sauce
½ C Smokey Barbecue Sauce
2 C *Corn Kernels (optional)
1 15oz Can of Black Beans
1 15oz Can of Kidney Beans

1. Heat a pot over medium-to-medium high heat
2. Add olive oil and turkey meat
3. Season the meat with chili powder, grill seasoning, cumin, Worcestershire and hot sauce.
4. Chop the onion, reserve ¼ of it for topping chili
5. Brown meat 5 minutes, then add onions and chopped bell peppers and cook for 10 minutes.
6. Add beer and deglaze the pan, scraping up the drippings and cooking off the alcohol.
7. Add tomato sauce and barbecue sauce and bring to a bubble.
8. *If using corn kernels add them now with black beans, kidney beans, and any other type of beans you prefer.
9. Let chili simmer for 10 minutes.
10. Adjust seasonings and heat level to your taste.

Enjoy,

John

When it comes to chili, the thing that I like to do is use smoked chuck roast. I've smoked it to the point where it can be pulled and I've smoked it to about 170℉ or so internal and cut it up into cubes. I think that I like the cubes better, though. It's a little bit more time consuming smoking the meat first, but the results are worth it...

When it comes to chili, the thing that I like to do is use smoked chuck roast. I've smoked it to the point where it can be pulled and I've smoked it to about 170℉ or so internal and cut it up into cubes. I think that I like the cubes better, though. It's a little bit more time consuming smoking the meat first, but the results are worth it...
Made our first batch using smoked chuck last Sunday...turned out excellent!

Ryan

I would think the chunk would be better. Last time I used some left over brisket and that stringy meat just did not work.

Reactions: JLeonard
great idea! We love chili! I used to only do it with beans, but this year expanded to include Texas style and it’s our new favorite!

This is a Texas style I’ve been doing lately that we’ve been destroying:
1/4 Cup rendered bacon grease
-3ish pnds beef (Chuck or brisket) we’ve also tried with spicey
-1 large white onion chopped
-3 large jalapeño or Serrano (I left out for my wife, still plenty Spicy )
- Green or red peppers diced, I used both
-5 garlic cloves crushed
-3 tablespoons chili powder
-1 tablespoon cumin
- large can peeled tomatoes
- 4 chipotle chili’s in adobo sauce chopped
-5 cups beef broth
-Salt/pepper to taste
-Beer optional, thickener optional
Used the bacon grease in bottom of pot first, then add onion for a bit, layer in garlic, then peppers, chili powder, cumin. After heated through in the meat that’s already browned snd cooked ( this is usually a leftover dish for me, but can cook meat in the bacon grease if still raw) then dump in the rest to simmer and reduce. I’ve been adding in IPA lately!

For a "everyday" chili I use ground beef.. But I do like to cube up a chuck roast.. Either way I like to do the "over the top" method.. especially
With the cubed up chuck or even cubed up pork butt. Almost like having little burnt ends right in the chili.

I would think the chunk would be better. Last time I used some left over brisket and that stringy meat just did not work.
I’ve adjusted so that if I’m using leftover brisket I put in at the end so it doesn’t fall apart. Last batch I made a flat just for the chili and only cooked to 180, this kept it from getting too stringy!

Reactions: JLeonard
I used smoked chuck in my last batch. I cubed it after smoking, but after cooking for several hours with the rest of the ingredients, it became shredded. I still enjoyed it. Very tasty.
The cooking can go on in the smoker or the pot. Why not cut the chuck into pieces, more surface area, and smoke it very low so you get the smoke and not the cook on the meat. Then cook the chili like before?

Good thread Brian! here is my go to chili recipe

Ingredients

3 T. vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
3-6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 lb. ground beef or buffalo
1 can (14 oz.) Tomatoes with liquid, chopped
1 t. salt
½ t. pepper
3t. cumin
1T. chili powder
1T. paprika
Jalapeno or Ancho powder to add heat as needed.
1T. Mexican oregano (regular if you don’t have mexi)
1 (14 oz.) can chili beans (pinto in sauce)
1 (14 oz.) can black beans rinsed and drained
1lb frozen Hatch roasted chopped green chili’s mild
1 bottle Guinness Stout – just about any beer works.

Directions

• Heat the oil in medium stock pot over medium heat. Sauté the onion till brown and set aside.
  • Brown meat in a pan, then add to stock pot with onions.
  • Add garlic and stir one minute
  • Pour in tomatoes with liquid, beer, salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, paprika, oregano Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
  • Stir in beans and green chilies and cook another 25 minutes. Serve with grated cheese & sour cream.
  • Add more salt, season salt, pepper, chipotle powder, chili powder etc. to taste and heat.

Here is one that I done and really enjoy. started out a Yoder Forum video and I modified it to my liking. Enjoy!!

Smoked Tri-Tip Chili

Yield: just barely enough

Ingredients:
Chile powder:
  • 3 guajillo chiles (0.7 ounces)
  • 2 pasilla negro chiles (o.4 ounces)
  • 2 pasilla de Oaxaca chiles (0.3 ounces)
  • 1 ancho chile (0.4 ounces)
  • 8 árbol chiles (0.1 ounces)(used 4-9/19 Sally could eat it)
Spice mix:
  • 2 whole cloves, buds only
  • 1 star anise, seeds only
  • 2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds
  • ½ teaspoon whole coriander seeds
  • 2 teaspoons whole-leaf dried oregano, preferably Mexican oregano
  • 2 Turkish bay leaves
Chile
  • 1qt beef broth, homemade and rich, more or less as needed
  • 2 to3lb tri-tip roast, trimmed (can use NY or ?)
  • 1lb breakfast sausage
  • 2 medium yellow onions, diced
  • 4-6 Hatch green chiles or poblano peppers, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2-15oz cans canned San Marzano Tomatoes chopped (and sauce)
  • 2 tablespoons of lard
  • 2 tbsp Cattleman’s Grill Steakhouse Seasoning
  • Chili powder (from above)
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp red chili flakes or Aleppo Chile flakes
Preparation:
  • Chile powder: Heat a medium cast-iron skillet over low heat until hot, about 3 minutes. Pull on a pair of rubber gloves. Working with one type at a time, toast the guajillo, pasilla negro, pasilla de Oaxaca, and ancho chiles (do not toast the árbol chiles) until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes, turning them occasionally and pressing them against the skillet with tongs or your gloved fingers. Pull the tops off the chiles (including the árbols) to remove the stems, and then shake out the seeds into a small bowl. Rip open the pods, pull out and discard the ribs, tear the chiles into pieces, and allow to cool until crisp. Grind the chiles in 3 batches to a fine powder in a coffee or spice grinder. Empty each batch into a fine-mesh sieve over a small bowl and sift the chile powder to remove bits of skin or ribs. Discard the contents of the sieve after sifting each batch. When all the chiles have been ground and sifted, stir the chile powder to ensure that it’s well blended. Turn the powder into a jar with a tight-fitting lid and set it aside.
  • Spice mix: Again, heat the medium cast-iron skillet over low heat until hot, about 3 minutes. While the pan is heating, pull off and reserve the buds of the whole cloves. Break 2 petals from the star anise and crack them open to release the shiny seed within each. Toss the clove buds, the star anise seeds, and the oregano into the coffee grinder. Toast the cumin and coriander seeds in the hot skillet, tossing constantly, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small plate and let cool. Add the toasted seeds to the coffee grinder and grind the mixture to a fine powder. There will be about 1 tablespoon. Turn the spices into a bowl, toss the bay leaves on top, and set aside.
  • Into a large pot add beans and enough beef broth and water to cover by 2”. Cook beans until just done. Drain and reserve at least 1 quart of broth. Adding more beef broth if needed.
  • Meanwhile preheat the Yoder (cooker) to 225ºF, set up for smoking. Rub the roast with a thin layer of binder. (oil, mustard, hot sauce, etc.) Season all surfaces with rub of your choice. Smoke the tri-tips for 60-90 minutes until the internal temperature of 115ºF-120ºF.
  • In a large cast iron Dutch oven add the sausage and cook until brown. Remove from heat. Add to a bowl and set aside, do not wash out the Dutch oven. Add the 2 tbsp of lard oil in the Dutch oven you cooked the sausage in. Add the onions and chilies. Cook until onions are translucent and softened. Add the garlic and tomatoes. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the 2-3 tbsp of the Chile powder and all the spice mix stir and heat until aromatic. Add the sausage, beans and bean/beef stock then simmer while the steak finishes.
  • When Tri-tip reaches IT remove from the grill and allow to rest for 20 minutes. Dice into bite-sized pieces. Remove the 2nd shelf from the Yoder (cooker) and turn the temperature up to 400ºF. Add the cubed steak to the Dutch oven stir then put in the smoker uncovered, Yoder lid closed, stirring occasionally until the chili is thickened and tri-tip is falling apart, 2½ – 3 hours.
  • Serve with crusty bread or tortillas, shredded cheese and sliced jalapenos.
I found a picture of the chill
i
NY Strip Chili 1 (2).JPG

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky