Chili on the drum

Discussion in 'Beef' started by gorillagrilla, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Always wanted to try this. Doin a batch of chili in the dutch oven ( lid off ) IN the smoker. Will post complete recepie at th end 'cause I'm constantly tasting and adjusting but keepin track.

First roasted and skinned some parsilla pepers

Threw the d.o. down on the coals and added bacon fat , then the onions , then the meat to brown a bit.

Used remaining coals to start coal basket

A hungry drum awaits !

put one of dem veggie grilly things to support the d.o.

The cook is on ( after adding all the other ingredients , like I said ,recepie to follow cook cause of all the adjustments )

'bout an hour in , darkening up a bit. We shall see . Hope it turns out good.More will follow !

2. guvna

guvna Smoking Fanatic

awesome! that chili looks great! i can't wait for the recipe... and some more pics.

3. grothe

grothe Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Lookin real good Gorilla!

4. bbq bubba

bbq bubba Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I can officially say that you have made the first batch of chili on a drum, ever!
    Looks great!
    Congrats!! [​IMG]

5. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Sure looks good Gorilla, great idea![​IMG]

6. motorhedd

motorhedd Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

gorilla you are a true innovator!
    "Innovators are successful, sophisticated, take-charge people with high self-esteem. Because they have such abundant resources, they exhibit all three primary motivations in varying degrees. They are change leaders and are the most receptive to new ideas and technologies."[​IMG]

7. 1894

1894 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Looking great [​IMG] Can't wait to see how it turns out and the finished recipe [​IMG]

8. hacksaw

hacksaw Smoke Blower

I LOOOOOOOOOOVVVVEEEEEE chili, I just can't seem to make a decent batch myself. I can't wait to try your recipe. Looks fantastic!

9. morkdach

morkdach Master of the Pit OTBS Member

SAHWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTT
    howd it taste looks great

10. bb53chevpro

bb53chevpro Master of the Pit OTBS Member

That looks great.

11. waysideranch

waysideranch Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Unreal chili. Your killing me.

12. walking dude

walking dude Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

looking good dude...........i keep telling moma, ( who makes chili good enuff to win comps, but won't give me the recipe to post here, just ask the ones who have asked)........to try smoking it........

one question tho.....why the need to the veggie thingy bobby......would't the do just sit str8 on the grate?