CHILI DOGS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

reinhard

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 6, 2013
Andover Minnesota
Been busy lately but not busy enough to make some chili dogs last Wednesday.  I think I posted the smoked one's I made but this time I made 10 pounds of fresh one's for the grill.  Just enough heat without affecting the flavor.  One thing I have noticed when I go to service counters around here is that a lot of brats are sold.  Different types but they all have the same seasonings.  You would think some of these shops would think out of the box and try a variety.  Guess that is why I make my own sausage.    These have a chili flavor and every one that I have given these to love them.  When I prepared them I put them on in-direct heat for half the cooking time and over direct heat to finish them off, but all this time on the top rack.  Wrapped some bacon around each one, something I've been doing lately when grilling my sausage's.  Here are some pics of the day and what I used:

One pack of Curley's chili dog seasoning enough for 10 pounds cure included [cure for smoking but I put it in there for fresh]

8 pounds of pork butt trim

2 pounds of 80/20 ground beef

2 cups of water

2 T mustard seeds

2 T diced garlic from the jar

Ground the pork and beef through a medium plate once.  Sprinkled the mustard seeds over the meat.  Then mixed the rest of the ingredients in the water.  Poured it over the meat and mixed it well.  Had my 32mm hog casings ready and started to stuff.

Ground the meat through a medium plate.

Mixed the seasonings and cure in the water.

Everything is on the ground meat and ready to be mixed up good.

That little tool is my meat tenderizer I use to poke a few holes in the casing for easier linking.

First few links .

Yes that taste test I always look forward too.

Had to have some that day so I wrapped the links in bacon, what can go wrong there.

Looks like they are ready to go!!

Sure are tasty!!!  Reinhard

Looks Real good from my House!!!
drool.gif

Nice Job!!
icon14.gif
----------------
points.gif

Bear

Thanks everyone!!!!  They are very good.  I'm ordering a couple of 25 pound seasoning packs of chili dog seasonings.  The ten pounds won't last the week between friends and family.  Reinhard.

FIGJAM, the reason I poke some holes in the casings prior to linking is to release some air pockets formed by stuffing..  I use a meat tenderizer which has very fine needle points and make very small holes.  This helps in easier linking as well.  I don't poke many and there is really no loss that I have noticed.  All the years that I have made sausage including the many years when I was working I have done this.  I good tool for this is the two prong corn cob holder also.  I'ts just one part in the process of making sausage.  Reinhard

Last edited:
Nice Job, those look great, I need to try them     
points1.png

Gary

FIGJAM, the reason I poke some holes in the casings prior to linking is to release some air pockets formed by stuffing..  I use a meat tenderizer which has very fine needle points and make very small holes.  This helps in easier linking as well.  I don't poke many and there is really no loss that I have noticed.  All the years that I have made sausage including the many years when I was working I have done this.  I good tool for this is the two prong corn cob holder also.  I'ts just one part in the process of making sausage.  Reinhard
Thanks for the explanation.  Figured there had to be a logical reason.  They look great, btw.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky