ChileRelleno vs #OneChipChallenge

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Today I received my box from Paqui with my #OneChipChallege tortilla chips.
And with much excitement got right down to it with these hot lil'muthas.

jN1WL6Fm.jpg

It's a large crunchy tortilla chip caked with chile powder and seasonings, so powerful is the odor of capsaicin oils it can be smelled through the chip's wrapper.
When I opened the wrapper people several feet away choked up it was so powerful, my right eye must've caught some dust cause it reacted even before I ate the chip.

Both chip and seasoning looks to be artificially colored black.
The older style chips were similar in appearance to a highly seasoned, bottom of the bag, Doritos brand chip, and were much more appealing to the eye.

The taste of the spices are not flavorful, kind'a raw and very pungent, with none of the expected citrus of fresh Carolina Reaper chiles.
Paqui, this was a huge disappointment.
The heat needs to come with wonderful flavor of the Carolina reaper, at least add a squirt of lime or something.
The spices clawed at my throat and tongue the way a horribly tannic red wine does, but even worse.
At least if there'd been some flavor to savor it'd been a better experience overall.

The heat however did not disappoint, plenty of fire here, it'll definitely light ya up.
Be sure to prep your stomach before eating these, some dairy products and carbs should stick to ya and protect you from an upset stomach.

And yeah, I screwed up reading the promo flyer whilst upside down... 3 minute vs 30 minute.

So with further ado here is my #OneChipChallenge

Last edited:
Ouch. I almost took you up on the offer for a chip. You cried. I'm glad I passed lol. Kinda made me queazy in the stomach just watching. You'll have to soak your toilet paper in milk in the morning lol
There's a difference between crying and eyes tearing/watering, the latter being involuntary, just like the hiccups, runny nose and sweaty head. :emoji_sweat_smile:
I tell ya, when eating such as Superhots you must prep your stomach beforehand and take care of it afterwards. And doing so lessens any after effects if you're prone to them.
I eat enough extremely spicy foods and chiles that I very rarely suffer any Ring of Fire effect, if ya know what I mean.
Some folks might find relief from a frozen Medicated Tucks Pads for hemorrhoids :emoji_laughing:

There's a difference between crying and eyes tearing/watering, the latter being involuntary, just like the hiccups, runny nose and sweaty head. :emoji_sweat_smile:
I tell ya, when eating such as Superhots you must prep your stomach beforehand and take care of it afterwards. And doing so lessens any after effects if you're prone to them.
I eat enough extremely spicy foods and chiles that I very rarely suffer any Ring of Fire effect, if ya know what I mean.
Some folks might find relief from a frozen Medicated Tucks Pads for hemorrhoids :emoji_laughing:
If 73saint 73saint cries more I'll give it to you on the "watery eyes" lol. Cool vid thanks for posting

Reactions: 73saint
I thought about doing one of these because they sell the chip at my local Wegman's, I'm bashful in front of a camera but thought about the challenge.

After watching this...screw that!!

Way to hang in there Chile.

Chile, you are a brave, and maybe slightly board man. Still I commend your efforts.
I was raised Chicano in the south west. I love good Chile, and for it to be good, it must also be hot. It’s the deep, rich flavor though that keeps you digging a hole in you beans just so you can fill it with more.
These extreme Chile they have today the habenero, reaper, ghost peppers are novelties, at least to me.
Still, I applaud your grit and adventurous personality. It’s just not for me. You make some outstanding dishes. Keep posting, and pass the Chile.

Reactions: chilerelleno
Chile, you are a brave, and maybe slightly board man. Still I commend your efforts.
I was raised Chicano in the south west. I love good Chile, and for it to be good, it must also be hot. It’s the deep, rich flavor though that keeps you digging a hole in you beans just so you can fill it with more.
These extreme Chile they have today the habenero, reaper, ghost peppers are novelties, at least to me.
Still, I applaud your grit and adventurous personality. It’s just not for me. You make some outstanding dishes. Keep posting, and pass the Chile.
Bored? No way, I'm married with three kids.
A full fledged and experienced Chilehead, slightly masochistic and a touch of bravado, addiction to adrenaline and endorphins, and an unabashed, narcissistic extrovert.

The so-called 'Superhots' are chiles that aren't for the timid or uninitiated that's for sure. They really can lead to physical distress or worse in people unaccustomed, unprepared or with some types of ailments/diseases.

Last edited:
I thought about doing one of these because they sell the chip at my local Wegman's, I'm bashful in front of a camera but thought about the challenge.

After watching this...screw that!!

Way to hang in there Chile.
Aw heck, step up to the plate a smack that sucker.

LOL... Thanks.

Reactions: xray
You hung in there great . I wouldn't do it myself . I'd have to sleep standing up for a week . Enjoyed the thread .

Not "lining" the internals with dairy is always my down fall.....always get the "ring of fire" the next day. Wish I could find these chips locally.

Not "lining" the internals with dairy is always my down fall.....always get the "ring of fire" the next day. Wish I could find these chips locally.
Prepping your guts isn't a guarantee, it's better to be accustomed to spicy foods/chiles to avoid such. Prepping and follow through avoids gastrointestinal discomfort, e.g. ulcers.
If you're willing to pay the shipping you can buy them straight from Paqui,

Glad I could live this one vicariously through you Chile lol. I just can’t eat things that hot anymore. One things for sure you will be able to easily time exactly how long it takes your food to process through you.

Chile that was good, I saw the rack in a store here so went to grab 1 and rack was empty. Probably a good thing. The older I am getting the more the heat gives me heartburn. So now i am not enjoying the heat as I used to. still thinking about this challenge though. LOL.
I am going to have to get you a bottle of my old faithful hot sauce, Acid Rain. great flavor and heat. let me know if your interested. Lol.
Thx for the video. :emoji_thumbsup:

Wow Chile...I'm impressed. Back in the day I'd have done that in a heartbeat. As I'm getting older the desire to torture myself has waned a bit. Still love a good spicy meal but that may be a bit much, although I did give serious consideration to ordering the chips when you first posted about them.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky