Chicken Wings?

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by 316sports, Sep 26, 2007.

1. 316sports

316sports Fire Starter

I've smoked whole chickens, legs, thighs and splits, but now I have my mind set on smoking some chicken wings. Can this be done? Any tricks of the trade when it comes to smoking chicken wings? Thanks.

Andrew

2. seaham358

seaham358 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I have smoked them a few times, I rub them with OO then coat with a rub I like and I smoked at 225-250 because I usually smoke with other meats. I smoke for 2-2.5 hours then I place them over the hot coals on a cooking grate to crisp up the skin. They are great this way.
    I sometimes will baste them with a Hot sauce mix I make up..

Last weekend I smoked about 2 hours then tossed in the deep fryer to crisp them up...... OOOOOhhhhhh were they good.

Good luck with the smoke...

3. johnd49455

johnd49455 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I did chicken wings in the Silver Lake Backyard Comp & the top rack on my CG w/SFB runs around 300 to 325 So the skin does come out somewhat crisp. I Marinate them in store bought wing sauce & mop them every hour with a mop sauce of the wing sauce beer & EVOO. The EVOO helps to crisp the skin a bit.

4. 316sports

316sports Fire Starter

Thanks for the help. I can't wait to get cooking!

5. 13spicerub

13spicerub Meat Mopper

NYC
    i suggest a quick sear on the grill/over the coals before they go into the smoker if you don't like rubbery skin

good luck

6. bigarm's smokin

bigarm's smokin Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I didn't know that. I thought they got the heat after the smoke. Thanks, I will try that next time. [​IMG] Terry