Chicken test, with lollipops and a Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The recipes look great, in fact the Vinegar based one is very similar to my Red Bubba Q Juice. Thanks for sharing. Now on to business...

The over browning issue is from the HONEY in the Glaze. It is a simpler sugar made up of mostly Fructose and Glucose. Although tastes great and can hold on to moisture in baked goods, has a much Lower Caramelization Point than Maple Syrup or Brown Sugar. Depending on the type of Honey this Caramelization point can be as low as 158*F but is more commonly around 220*F. Maple Syrup and Brown Sugar are both made of Sucrose. This is a more complex sugar made of both Fructose and Glucose bound by an Oxygen bond. Sucrose has a Caramelization point of 320*F. 

So, you want less Browning...Dump the Honey...Besides, Honey loses a lot of its flavor when heated to high temps, 200*F+, so you don't retain much of the Honey's flavor anyway...

Now dropping the Honey don't mean you can leave the Glaze on a long time either. The Vinegar in combination the Heat will break the Oxygen Bond in the Sucrose ( maple syrup and brown sugar) into Fructose and Glucose eventually and the Caramelization point will drop...JJ

Last edited:
Can't get any better of an explanation than that. Thanks JJ.Knowing the science behind things is always helpful, and I am one that likes to know what makes things tick. Anytime I do a backyard, practice or custom smoke/catering run with Ribs, Pulled Pork, or Brisket I always throw on some Chicken as it is my weak meat. Doing ribs this weekend and will make some changes and try it again on chicken. I am also thinking this might make a good rib glaze too so will probably try it on a rack and see what happens.

You are welcome. You have some passion for our art and most importantly are willing to Share recipes and your Techniques. I highly respect that. I don't compete but if I can help the rest of you guys win, I can live vicariously through all of you... So, I got your back!...JJ

JJ you nerd. Love it. Absolutely love it.

If my teachers would have only told me that I would use soo much science and math when I later try to master BBQ & Charcuterie I would have paid more attention!!!!

They look great to me, and thanks for sharing the glaze recipe.  I will definitely give this a try.  It looks like you said you cooked at 245°? Does the skin of the chicken get crisp at that temp?

JJ you nerd. Love it. Absolutely love it.

If my teachers would have only told me that I would use soo much science and math when I later try to master BBQ & Charcuterie I would have paid more attention!!!!
Tell me about it... I was a horrible student in High School! Wasn't until my Second round of College in my 30's and on MY DIME instead of Dad's, that I got my act together and learned something...JJ

You are welcome. You have some passion for our art and most importantly are willing to Share recipes and your Techniques. I highly respect that. I don't compete but if I can help the rest of you guys win, I can live vicariously through all of you... So, I got your back!...JJ
I think passion is an understatement, it is becoming an obsession. I don't count sheep to go to sleep, I count rib bones LOL.

They look great to me, and thanks for sharing the glaze recipe.  I will definitely give this a try.  It looks like you said you cooked at 245°? Does the skin of the chicken get crisp at that temp?
The 6 that we pulled and scraped the fat off the skin were perfect bite through. The remaining could of used a higher temp for better skin, wasn't bad, just not perfect. Scraping the skin was a PITA until we found the right cutting board and knife combo. Then it took like 2 minutes a skin.

The 6 that we pulled and scraped the fat off the skin were perfect bite through. The remaining could of used a higher temp for better skin, wasn't bad, just not perfect. Scraping the skin was a PITA until we found the right cutting board and knife combo. Then it took like 2 minutes a skin.
Toby, bite through skin is what comp cooks are looking for, it is a major part of the chicken judging, but crispy skin is not going to happen at 245.  If your just cooking at home, smoke the birds then pop them in a 400 degree oven for a few minutes, this will help with the skin.  Or just grill them at a higher temp instead of smoke.

I just cook for fun.  (and to give the wife a break on the week-ends)   You can get crispy skin on wings (chicken) in the smoker.  I do mine on the bottom rack.  When they are done I simply stoke the fire and blast them with heat.  Watch'em close or you'll burn them up.   I love my wings  

Here are some I did for my wife's surprise birthday party along side some pulled pork.    People were cleaning the tray with bread.

I've very new at this but I was wondering how did you use the three different sauce( basic sauce, vineagar sauce and chicken glaze)  Do you alternate them?

I've very new at this but I was wondering how did you use the three different sauce( basic sauce, vineagar sauce and chicken glaze)  Do you alternate them?

Make the basic and put in a container. Make the vinegar and put in a container. Come time to use it take the prescribed amount of the basic and vinegar, add ingredients from the glaze list, mix heat and brush onto the meat.. As advised by others here I would cut the final honey out at least, if not all of it. And once you brush it on the meat, don't leave the meat on the grate more than 5-10 minutes max or it will burn and darken, like my first try did.

Ryder,  I did a search for lollipop legs with no results.

My question is how do you trim and prepare  your lollipops for the smoker?    I plan on just putting a store bought chicken rub on them.   I'm thinking this will be  better then wings and cheaper.

They look really cool.  Do you  skin them and trim the bottom off and re-wrap the skin?

Hope everyone has a great week-end!

They are real easy to do. Cut through everything but the bone just below the joint and push the meat and skin as far down as you can. You can trim off any fat or uglies if you like. I marinate them in Italian or Raspberry Vinaigrette dressing for about 4 hours, give them a light coat of rub and put on at 245 degrees or so.  Sauce or glaze them as desired a few minutes before pulling them off the grate. Do a search here just using Lollipop, or a google search for chicken lollipop. I will be trimming some tonight and will see if I can get someone to shoot a video that I can put up.

Here ya go Wes. Fast and simple Lollipop. I will give them a light dusting of rub before putting them on the grate then a glaze just before pulling them off. Quick, simple, and folks love them because they are something different.

Thanks for taking the time to put that up.  I love it!     It is different, and very cool.   I think I found my replacement for wings.

Thanks again!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky