Chicken skin tips anyone?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Matt

Original poster
Aug 14, 2019
So I’m a newbie when it comes to smoking, I usually do individual pork ribs and chicken drumsticks together, I cook at 250 degrees for 2 and a half hours the meat comes out perfect! But my chicken skin is chewy. Anyone have any solutions or ways to fix it?

I pat mine dry with paper towel, then pop salt on them and leave in fridge uncovered for a few hours or even overnight.

I also run a bit hotter with Chicken than other meats, 275-325F depending on how quick I want it done.

Reactions: S-met
So I’m a newbie when it comes to smoking, I usually do individual pork ribs and chicken drumsticks together, I cook at 250 degrees for 2 and a half hours the meat comes out perfect! But my chicken skin is chewy. Anyone have any solutions or ways to fix it?

Hi there and welcome!

The issue is that chicken skin always comes out leathery/rubbery unless cooked at a high enough temperature. If you cook/smoke your chicken at 325F temperature you should have edible skin and likely crispy skin. You probably want to stay 315F or higher.

Now another solution is to smoke your chicken very low for a good while and when the breast hits an internal temp (IT) of like 135F or so throw it on a screaming hot grill skin side down and finish cooking it. This would get the skin whipped into shape BUT you can't do this if the chicken IT is too high already or you will overcook your chicken. Experiment with this until you get good chicken skin and remember that chicken is cheap and taste good :)

I do my whole chickens 24+ hours, if doing legs, thighs, breasts a few hours 3-4 should be good. i agree with 5grillztn

Getting crisp skin is a common discussion. Many approaches and the results are personal preference. In the end was never satisfied so I changed my approach. See the recipe in the sig below.

Skin is all fat and collagen. To get thin, bite through skin you gotta melt it down. Unfortunately, the muscle will get to eatability WAY before the skin at low temps. If you can bump the temp up like stated above, say 325F, the skin and meat finish about the same time.

I have had that problem as well. I tried dredging the chicken in corn starch and it turns the skin into a fried chicken kind of texture. Gets it crispy though

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky