Chicken quarters and pork loin...newbie needs some direction (qview added)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

menk45

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 23, 2011
Jefferson City, MO
I have 4 chicken quarters and a small pork loin that I plan on smoking tomorrow for dinner, but really need some direction.  I will be using a Gourmet ECB.

I tried searching some of the previous posts but haven't had much success, just can't seem to find everything in one location...maybe I'm just to impatient to keep looking.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Can someone help me with step by step instructions for the chicken quarters?  Thanks!

OK, so once I got the ziplock bag of chicken thawed, I found out they were legs and thighs, not really quarters.

ce1cbb59_ChickenandPork7-11_003.jpg

Made up a rub, just "winged" it b/c I don't really know what I am doing..

2T Course Salt, 2T pepper, 1 T garlic powder, 1 T onion powder, and 1T paprika

290cc746_ChickenandPork7-11_004.jpg

I let them sit for about 20 minutes, then added to a bath of buttermilk

2f776c83_ChickenandPork7-11_007.jpg

For the pork loin (2.5lbs), I found a "sweet and spicy" rub recipe that I had printed out a while back, can't remember where I got it.

1/4c brown sugar

1/4c white sugar

1/4c course salt

2 T chili powder

2 t cayenne pepper

1 T garlic powder

1 t ground cumin

20cce23b_ChickenandPork7-11_006.jpg

Will be starting the smoker soon and will have more pics later

Last edited:
Are the leg quarters or breast quarters?

Here are some leg quarters I've done.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/fo...pulled-pork-and-leg-quarters-on-sunday-q-view

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/106220/smoked-buttermilk-leg-quarters-w-q-view

Make sure your thermometers are accurate. You don't want to overcook the chicken.
 LOL, my wife demands they are over cooked. I have to constantly take them into the 180º region for her to eat them.  Don't expect them to be crisp from the smoker, we always finish them on the hot grill.

a5964c6f_Chickensmoker0009.jpg

03079f08_ChickenGrill0010.jpg

Still moist and tender, without brining. Remember to keep the chicken BELOW the Loin. Google up Memphis Rub for a nice Chicken Rub.

As to the loin, just don't over do it. No more than 140º internal, then wrap in foil for 45 minutes after removing from the smoker.

Also, if you are using photobucket, use the Direct Link one and when you use the Photo button here, place it under the URL tab. They should show up nicely.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky