chicken pepperoni

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bustintires

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
Mckenna, WA
Looking for ideas and recipes on making chicken pepperoni snack sticks. My local smokehouse makes a really good chikpep but i dont think they will part with the how to and were fors. Do you finish at a higher temp than other sausages because its poultry?
icon_question.gif

I got the High Mnt. and I think it need more pepper flake, I did some (I know no qview it did'nt happen) Beef sticks and thay were good,got the sweet/hot, same thing you gotta tweek to your tast. But I think it's a good start point if you're like me and don't have a lot of experince with rubs and spices.....

Now that thought of chicken pepperoni does hit a never and it sounds interesting too. I might have to look something up with this one.

Bustin, I know which smokehouse you are talking about & their chicken pepperoni is very good. I have been wanting to try making it also. Maybe I will give it a shot this week, if I get the time.

I have made chicken sausages before as well as beef/pork snack sticks. I like the idea of chicken snack sticks. I would definitely finish off at a higher temp, say 170 , especially if using dark meat. I have my own recipe for snack sticks that is kind of a "fusion" recipe that I put together from different recipes I found on the net. I'm sure you could use pre-packaged seasonings as well.

Let us know how it comes out.

I gave it a shot over the weekend. I used the high mountain summer sausage mix. Mis-guesstimated the meat weight. Came out to salty. Added extra black pepper but could of used some red pepper flake. Im gunna have to invest in a scale. Took it to 165 internal temp. seamed a little dry. might have to add more fat or something. I found my grandmothers recipe for venison summer sausage, gunna give that a shot next time around. It called for grinding in some bacon. Should convert well for snacksticks.

Shame the chicken pepperoni didn't come out like you hoped, keep at it. I'm interested in this one.
Good luck with your Grandmothers sausage recipe, keep us updated when you do that one!

did you use white or dark meat? I use boneless thighs from Sam's Club for my chicken sausasges. I always add a little pork fat or even some bacon to help with the dryness problem.

So here's the problem. Fat will be rendering out of your snack stick starting at about 150 to 155. So the problem lays with how to keep the fat from rendering out of the sticks without the dangers of undercooking the chicken. I am certainly interested in the answer if someone has it.

I use a mix of white and dark for chicken or turkey roll. I save the chunks of fat from whole chickens I've cut up and add that. Also chicken broth and semolina flour. I smoke at 150 for about an hour and a half and finish at 170-175 till internal of 160. .

OK I'm looking at attempting this today. I want to try some chicken snack sticks. Just wondering if anyone has had more experience here since this last post. Is there a minimum IT that you have to hit because it's chicken? Any good recipes?

I gave it a shot over the weekend. I used the high mountain summer sausage mix. Mis-guesstimated the meat weight. Came out to salty. Added extra black pepper but could of used some red pepper flake. Im gunna have to invest in a scale. Took it to 165 internal temp. seamed a little dry. might have to add more fat or something. I found my grandmothers recipe for venison summer sausage, gunna give that a shot next time around. It called for grinding in some bacon. Should convert well for snacksticks.

I quit using the high mountain because it’s so salty you can be right on the mix
To Meat weights and it’s still salty!

I found that the ac legs snack stick seasoning was too salty for me as well. I even cut back on the ratio. I'm smoking some chicken/beef snack sticks today with my own recipe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky