Chicken Leg Racks - Tried Out 2 Different Styles

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jeffed76

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 8, 2013
Memphis
So chicken is my favorite thing to smoke.  With 4 kids & a wife, I smoke a lot of chicken on a weekly basis. I found two different styles of chicken leg racks at the store and of course had to try them both out.  I really like the racks because it allows me to maximize my grilling area. Here are my opinions on them:

1.  Upside down rack - I like the this rack because the finished product looks nicer.  The only issue is that they are hard to mop and some of the smaller legs fall out of the holders.  Another upside to this setup is that it can potentially hold more legs.  Legs can be placed the in open spaces seen below, but it would defiantly get crowded and would probably make a negative impact on the presentation.

2. Right side up rack - When the legs are done being cooked they are not near as pretty as the upside down rack.  The meat of the leg is missing that tasty crisp look.  The upside to this rig is that the legs are super easy to mop and it doubles as a stuffed jalapenos rack (I have not doubt it started as a jalapeno rack).  It will hold up to 18 wings, but it gets pretty crowded.

If you guys have any thoughts or different chicken leg rigs please post.

THANKS!

Jeff

Looks good. The up-right one looks like an ABT holder.
icon_eek.gif

For the upright racks I think I would trim for lollipop legs and smoke at a higher temp to get the skin done.

Mike

For the upright racks I think I would trim for lollipop legs and smoke at a higher temp to get the skin done.

Mike

This is a total nube question, but does that mean you trim everything off of the bone? I'm going to have to try that.

I have several of the upside down racks and used to use them all the time in my Gas Smoker. They are to big to fit in my Mini-WSM. I always liked the way the legs turned out. Mopping wasn't that big of a deal since I very rarely sauce ours. When I do I only sauce right at the end. I pull them off sauce them and put them on a hot grill to finish. I guess another option is to take them off, dip in sauce and re-hang.

I guess another option is to take them off, dip in sauce and re-hang.
That's what I do.  I always do 50/50 "hot & not."  I have a bowl that I've used to toss wings, etc that I usually have filled with my "mop" sauce.  I'll pull them off the rack, dip em, and quickly put it back on there.

I couldn't find another upside down one...so I'll be doing both ways today.  The idea about the lollipop ones in the ABT/right-side-up one is awesome and I'm trying that tonight for the hot half (queue Rod Stewart's "Hot Legs" here).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky